AirBNB Experience
Normal
Small
Posted by geezer

I was very excited to have my housing for Gen Con 2019 taken care of.  In the past I have stayed at hotels no less than 15 miles from the ICC and this made it difficult to see some events.  For example, if you wanted to participate in the costume parade you would have to wear a hot costume all day.  It's not convenient to drive 20 or 30 miles and then back again.  So I thought I was smart lining up my housing for both me, my grandson, my son and daughter-in-law through AirBNB.  One of the places I got a confirmed reservation for was Lockerby 1 hosted by Marcus Hurley.  They said I had a confirmed reservation and took half of the money up front.  Then today, Marcus who last month said he was so happy to host me tells me today that he is canceling my reservation.  Bottom line is that if you are told you have a confirmed reservation with AirBNB, apparently it means nothing.  This is a pretty bad way to treat a paying customer.  I will not be staying with AirBNB again.  

I invite you to tell of your good and bad housing experiences in this forum.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

Bummer.

No doubt cancelled because he realized GenCon was that week and he could probably  repost and charge more. 

Normal
Small
Posted by geezer matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
Bummer.
No doubt cancelled because he realized GenCon was that week and he could probably  repost and charge more. 
Yes, that was the first thing that occurred to me.  We wants to get rid of us so he can gouge someone else.

Normal
Small
Posted by cgeckle

That sucks, man.

A couple of friends and I stayed in an Airbnb in Broad Ripple.  The Lyft/Ubers were pricier than we hoped, but the space was clean and the neighborhood was great.  I guess there certain risks with a home rental that aren't present with a traditional hotel booking.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Did you get back your "deposit"?

Normal
Small
Posted by geezer garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Did you get back your "deposit"?
Not yet, but I assume I will.  I will watch the credit card statement.  

New Post Sign in to write a new post.