Off-site Airbnb Housing
Normal
Small
Posted by tessa33

...Anyone have any experiences with staying in a local Airbnb for housing, instead of doing the hotel thing? I've been looking and it seems SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper - too good to be true?

Pros/cons? Opinions? This will be our first year attending GenCon so any feedback or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by thurleyfelton

You have to register your Driver's licence with them and the information is managed by a European company.  IDK but that seems like too much personal information to give to them to book a rental, when home away and vrbo don't require that kind of information.

Normal
Small
Posted by thurleyfelton

Tripping.com gives you a list of all the vacation rentals from all the different sites.  We did try to book a rental on Home Away that was advertised for $285, but when i tried to book it, the owner raised the rate to $850 because he forgot it was gencon. 

Normal
Small
Posted by tessa33

I've used Airbnb several times before and have never had a bad experience, but I was nervous about using it for GenCon because most people seem to be staying at hotels booked through the housing system on this site? But there are some Airbnbs out there for $50-$100 per night for 2 people, and it just seems so much cheaper than hotels - why don't more people do that? Is there something I'm missing?

Normal
Small
Posted by cassielevett tessa33

One thing to consider is they are often rooms in a house rather than your own private room in a hotel. You may have a private bedroom in a house were you share the bathroom or other common areas with people. Some people are not a fan of such arrangements. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 tessa33

tessa33 wrote:
I've used Airbnb several times before and have never had a bad experience, but I was nervous about using it for GenCon because most people seem to be staying at hotels booked through the housing system on this site? But there are some Airbnbs out there for $50-$100 per night for 2 people, and it just seems so much cheaper than hotels - why don't more people do that? Is there something I'm missing?

Many people place a high premium on having a connected or walkable downtown hotel that is within 1/2 mile or so of the convention center.  There is very little AirBnB stuff that close that is cheap.

In general I've had good experiences with AirBnB, but never used it for Gen Con.

AirBnB covers a wide spectrum of properties from a step above couch surfing to whole house vacation rental properties.  Make sure you understand if you're booking a semi-private room, or an entire apartment, and consider the ratings/feedback of prior guests.

Normal
Small
Posted by mr.

My wife and I used Air BnB in California, Europe and other places.  It is really useful in most cases.  We found that for Gen Con anything close to the convention center is quite expensive.  We have not checked this year.  Air BnB as a company for reliability is really great.  There is good protection for the person renting rooms.  

Normal
Small
Posted by laufersweiler

I often use Air BnB when I travel solo for festivals & cons, as I really just need a quiet place to sleep & washup. I'm not concerned with amenities when I'm going to be out at the event any time I'm not in bed or in the shower. If I can get somebody's spare room with a twin bed for <$40/night, that's that much more money I have to put towards the reason I came. This year I found one close to the #10 bus, so I don't even need to pay for parking at the con. (Sure, a cab fare if I decide to stay out late might might make the parking savings a wash, but if I'm up late I probably shouldn't be driving anyway. ;) )

That's suburbs prices though, so it doesn't make as much sense for someone wanting to do lots of cosplay changes, field big wargame armies, or whatever other things make close hotels a priority. The folks hosting downtown know they've got a high-demand product on a busy weekend, and the prices are considerably higher than what I'm looking for. Still it's worth a look.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

I know last year i looked ABNB up, and the few downtown spots i saw, were Compariable pricing to the hotels.. 

Normal
Small
Posted by roanders

I just listed my place on Airbnb if anyone is interested. 
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22742354

New Post Sign in to write a new post.