Question About PFS Specials
Normal
Small
Posted by halfelfranger

This is my first time attending GenCon, and I am big into PFS, so naturally I had to sign up for the special on Thursday night. Of course, I didn't notice that there is also a special on Friday night until after it was sold out at almost all levels. My question is, how likely is it that someone will not show up to the PFS special on Friday night and I will be able to use generics to play? I am under the impression that using generics to play is pretty common and eady normally, but I was unsure if that might change with an event like a PFS special.

Normal
Small
Posted by jigreene

I have played with people that got seated with generics in the past, but I don't know if anyone was still left on the sidelines once all tables were seated.  Tier 1-2 currently has tickets available if you still want to buy in advance. 

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

Seeing that the special was one of the first to sell out, and has been sold out since event registration opened, the odds that generics will work may be slim.  Do you have several characters at different levels you can play?  Are you willing to play a pregen?  Yes to these questions would likely increase your chances.

As jigreene noted, some level 1-2 tickets were returned and currently available so jump on them if you want to the play that special.

Show up early and find out where generics are gathering.  Generics will be seated last, only after everyone who has a ticket has had the chance to take their seat, usually 10 minutes after the start time.

Normal
Small
Posted by adcjones

It's highly likely you'll get in.  Paizo does its best to accommodate everyone.  

Normal
Small
Posted by c3pofan

Depending on what PFS scenario(s) interest you, the later events (@2am) usually are not full up (players not showing up etc.) and the GM is usually more than happy to accommodate another player at the table. I have played in these events previously and they are a blast. As well, you can still catch a few Z's afterwards before starting your day again as they usually don't run too long, as an example, Last year our group started at 2 am  and we were finished by 5-5:30am.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster c3pofan

c3pofan wrote:Depending on what PFS scenario(s) interest you, the later events (@2am) usually are not full up (players not showing up etc.) and the GM is usually more than happy to accommodate another player at the table. I have played in these events previously and they are a blast. As well, you can still catch a few Z's afterwards before starting your day again as they usually don't run too long, as an example, Last year our group started at 2 am  and we were finished by 5-5:30am.
This is true but the OP question was related to the specials which are not ran at 2 am.

Normal
Small
Posted by baitz

I plan to get in on generics. I have never not got seated with generics.

Normal
Small
Posted by adcjones

I've played PFS for a long time, Paizo tries to get literally everyone seated and playing.  But this year is different; it's the finale of Pathfinder Society under Pathfinder before Pathfinder 2 comes out....so beware of this.  If you do get in, expect to not begin until 830/9p, as they always take ticketed folks first and then scramble to find people to run the big specials.  I won't be playing the special this year, as I can't stand the formats the specials have taken on lately.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.