ETA on video game events?
Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

Most of the EGM events up so far are either Battletech Pods or the Artemis Bridge Simulator. Any idea when the fighting game tournaments will appear?

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

That's a good question.

Our usual main game provider backed out rather suddenly in April.  We've had a request for proposal out for a few weeks looking for additional game providers.  I can say that we WILL have a retro gaming room, and that we are looking for more modern console and lan providers, but I think it's fair to say that, for at least this year, video gaming at Gen Con will have a somewhat diminished presence.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
That's a good question.
Our usual main game provider backed out rather suddenly in April.  We've had a request for proposal out for a few weeks looking for additional game providers.  I can say that we WILL have a retro gaming room, and that we are looking for more modern console and lan providers, but I think it's fair to say that, for at least this year, video gaming at Gen Con will have a somewhat diminished presence.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

That's a shame :( I was looking forward to a Dragon Ball FighterZ or Street Fighter V tournament.

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

To be clear, the Arcade room, and the coin op corridor, WILL be back.

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
That's a good question.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC
Too bad!! My son loved the Smash Bros Melee tournaments...

Normal
Small
Posted by pcorey

That is unfortunate. My son spent most of his unscheduled time in that main game room playing league of legends. He's going to be extremely disappointed. 

Normal
Small
Posted by theonetruemango father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:
That's a good question.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

That's a shame :( I was looking forward to a Dragon Ball FighterZ or Street Fighter V tournament.
It's also a shame that Gencon is the same weekend as EVO. At least there will be good matches to watch in between events

Normal
Small
Posted by mbjones5

This is really disappointing. I have 4 teenagers that have bought badges specifically for the overwatch tourneys. 

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf

Marian, Derek, Gen Con folks, et. al.,

Is there any progress in getting any type of company in to run some game tournaments?

If there are  AV resources available, I would even be willing to bring in consoles and games that could be used to run games and tournaments. I know my 18 year old son has expressed interest in years past to run an event like that, but with the previous company doing it large scale, we did not feel like there was need.

Basically I am saying that in lieu of a large gaming company coming in to run the entire weekend of events, could we do it smaller scale like we do with RPG's and run just a few events, like a Smash Bros, Overwatch, or League of Legends tournament?

We would need monitors and/or TV's, but I am sure we could gather the consoles and games together if needed. Heck, I am coming by vehicle so I could even load up a few smaller HD TV's that we have to play the games on as well.

Just curious!

Normal
Small
Posted by stormforge

My friends son always did the Overwatch, he was really good too. He may be a little bummed out for that this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by apokd786 marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
That's a good question.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC
Oh no!

Normal
Small
Posted by wafflesx420

I would love to see a Rocket League tournament.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust wafflesx420

wafflesx420 wrote:
I would love to see a Rocket League tournament.

Doesn't look like it's gonna happen. It sucks, but when the one group you're counting on bails at the 11th hour...not much you can do, I imagine. :(

Normal
Small
Posted by snnakebite

I wasn't holding my breath but Xbox pubg tournament would have been cool

Normal
Small
Posted by shelts

Normal
Small
Posted by shelts marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
That's a good question.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC
I realize this may be too late in noting this, but I'm with a company that would be interesting in being the game provider for this year and possibly following years. We've been attending this event, and loved all parts of it. Is there an email we can contact you at to discuss the matter?

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

Any questions regarding running events at Gen Con can be routed through events@gencon.com.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by bk x pwner

*crosses fingers for some last minute magic*

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust bk x pwner

bk x pwner wrote:
*crosses fingers for some last minute magic*

In the same boat here.

Normal
Small
Posted by clayz5995

Old post, I know, but if there isn't a provider when planning next year, I can run a Tekken7 or DBFZ tournament and/or side events for those that are interested. I will not provide fight sticks, but I will have plenty of controllers. I would need a couple volunteers to help, though. Again, this is just if we dont have a VG provider by next year.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.