Magic the Gathering
Normal
Small
Posted by apgrossi13

Hello,

Looking to attend my first GenCon this year. I was wondering if there are Magic The Gathering events that my son and I can join. 

Thanks

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

The event listings will be up around mid-late April, with registration for events occurring on May 6th.

Will there be Magic? Oh yes. That is guaranteed. Details of what kind, when, tournaments, etc, will be in the event listings in a couple weeks.

MTG has made some announcements this year about Gencon regarding tournaments, so expect to find a lot (plus non-official MTG with more open rules)

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49

i do a few of those.

There are always on demand drafts, standard, modern, commander, and legacy events I think. Those fire every time they get 8 people.

There are other events that are scheduled (special drafts, chaos drafts, special standards, etc).

There are also I think 8 special events that are going on there this year where if you win one of them you advance to an alpha/beta draft.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978

Frequently the Magic The Gathering events are not present in the initial event guide, and often not present before event registration, but they will show up eventually (this is not Gen Con's fault, the tournament organizer has missed submission deadlines in the past). 

Some tips:

1. There is a large magic area set aside with it's own judging station, and there is usually a place to buy generic tickets nearby for 8 person sit and go drafts.

2. Events and tournaments very rarely sell out, so don't worry about getting them in the mad rush of initial registration, focus on hard to get items like RPGs, True Dungeon, etc. that you may be interested in the initial registration day.

3. There is usually a "celebration" tournament event with prizes every round and an easygoing atmosphere.

4. There is usually some wacky stipulation or celebrity guest event (for example, a tournament where each round is held under some announced global effect, or one where pros participate and if you are paired against a pro and win you get a bonus prize).

5. There is often a "Grand Melee" event where all players (sometimes 100+) participate in a giant single game where you sort of sit in a giant circle and can attack left and right.

6. There is usually a Pauper format tournament and a few other odds and ends events that are not run by the primary MTG tournament organizer.

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage

The yearly prayer that someone besides Past Times run MTG events. Is there magic at Gencon? Oh yes, my advice is to definitely hit the tables where casual folks meet in the area to play and trade.

After a too many personal observations while playing I pass on any event Past Times organizes/is responsible for. 

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity boc_mage

boc_mage wrote:
The yearly prayer that someone besides Past Times run MTG events. Is there magic at Gencon? Oh yes, my advice is to definitely hit the tables where casual folks meet in the area to play and trade.
After a too many personal observations while playing I pass on any event Past Times organizes/is responsible for. 
Well, I have a question then. Is there enough of a non-PastTimes crowd to support some events? I've though about bringing my pauper cube to do a draft or two. Cheap, simple and a good way to play for four hours without needing to bring anything or play in an uber event.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
boc_mage wrote:
Well, I have a question then. Is there enough of a non-PastTimes crowd to support some events? I've though about bringing my pauper cube to do a draft or two. Cheap, simple and a good way to play for four hours without needing to bring anything or play in an uber event.

In general yes, but I believe the 2018 event submission deadline is well past.

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49

I do agree that I am not a fan of how the events are run. Late start times, pairings being slow or completely wrong, judges not knowing the correct rules, and last year a judge told me to put away my playmat (it was one of the characters from one of the Japanime games, I cannot remember which right now, but it isn't any worse than what they have lilliana dressed in).

Normal
Small
Posted by fatherofone

I think the guys that put on the events are nice and do a very good job, however I do wish there were just tables that were reserved for people to have an open play against other people and a table reserved for those that wanted to just trade cards.  

I will say that WotC and perhaps Past Times has gone all SJW, in the requiring of certain matts to be taken away.   It seems ironic to me that the Judge program is okay with petaphiles in their organization and not okay with a playmat of a provocative girl on it.   That does seem strange to me, but it is a private company, and private organization.  

An open table for each the following would be great:
Standard,
Commander,
Legacy/Open
Trading with other people.   

Normal
Small
Posted by armadilloal

> It seems ironic to me that the Judge program is okay with petaphiles in their organization and not okay with a playmat of a provocative girl on it. 

There are so many problems with this sentence that I'm not sure where to begin. 

For those who are unaware of Magic drama, the whole "judge pedophile" scandal is a crusade created by the most prominent, um, I'll use the word "non-politically-correct", member of the Magic creator community after he was banned from the game for harassing a prominent cosplayer who had done many events for Wizards of the Coast, to the point where she quit cosplay entirely.  He took a single case that wasn't even relevant to the judge program and made it into a personal attack on the entire judge community.  I'd look up details, but there's no way I'm Googling the relevant keywords at work.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

We don't need details. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by papalorax

I have never had an issue with Pastimes (besides missing out registering because late catalog entries) - quite the opposite, compared to other card events...I am impressed with their operation.

Here is a look at last year
http://gencon.eventdb.us/groupCompany.php?Group=Pastimes

there will be a 25th anniversary championship of which you will need to qualify for through other events at gen con.

Normal
Small
Posted by impulse411

With the event catalog being posted, any idea when Pasttimes events will go live?  I know they are usually a little...later...than the rest, I just didn't know if we had any ETA.  I know this is not something necessarily set in stone, but didn't know if anyone knew from past precedent or some such.  Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

ETA is "Hopefully soon" according to the Event Team. Sorry, but that's the best they can give, with the number of late-submitted events to get through. Keep checking back.

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan

Pasttimes has been late with their submissions for the past several years running.  They've gotten better as far as firing events on time, but the cost has become prohibitive.  Last year they were running $18 drafts with prizing the same as prizing for Channel Fireball $10 drafts at GP's.  

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49

Pasttimes is horrible with getting events in on time, this happens every year.

Will they be in before event registration starts on Sunday? I would like to get an idea on at least 2 mtg events so I can finalize everything else.

Normal
Small
Posted by brendaisbored

I saw on FB yesterday they said they had sent 98% of the events to Gen Con already but were waiting on approval from Wizards on the remaining events.

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49

Still nothing yet.

Normal
Small
Posted by leo2005

So after I buy all my event tickets without factoring in Pastimes Games events tomorrow, will it be possible/easy to refund the tickets that end up overlapping Pastimes Games later?

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder leo2005

leo2005 wrote:
So after I buy all my event tickets without factoring in Pastimes Games events tomorrow, will it be possible/easy to refund the tickets that end up overlapping Pastimes Games later?

Yes. You can return your tickets yourself for system credit, and then use that to buy whatever Pastimes events you want to get into.

If you want to refund anything to your original method of payment, though, you'll need to contact customerservice@gencon.com directly.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Sign in to write a new post. New Post