AL 5E D&D Games - How to Sign Up?
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

We have some really cool stuff coming in the lore department. That in spades is more. Keep an eye on our social media and website for updates. 

Normal
Small
Posted by parsec67

I'm new to Adventurers League but have been playing 5th edition for some time now. A few questions:

1) I'm interested in the MOON 2 (1-2-3 trilogy) but due to most being sold out can't do them in the right sequence. It says level 1-4 but if I end up doing 3 first will I be with players who are higher level due to them potentially having completed the previous two scenarios are they all self-contained?

2) If I don't have an AL character, do I have to sign up for the intro adventure or do the 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 series start at level 1 as well.

3) Do the scenarios offer pre-gens if we don't have our own AL sanctioned character?

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

1) Most AL tables are a mix of levels, but the Tier system keeps that in check. It isn't anything to worry about.

2) No. You don't have to play the intro adventures first. Keep in mind though, the intro is L1-2 only, so if you play through the Moon 2s, you won't be able to go back and play the intro with that character.

3) L1 pregens are available, or you can bring your own DDAL legal character.

Normal
Small
Posted by dwintheiser

Tier 1 can be tricky if you're a level 1 character at a table mainly with level 3 and 4 characters, just because of the way adventure balancing works in AL. There's no guarantee you'll be in that situation, because I'm sure you're not the only player who can't get into part 1 of the trilogy first. If you're worried about it, be sure to let the marshal know when you're mustering for your table that you'd prefer to be on a table with level 1 & 2 characters, just to keep the table balanced.

Still, even if you do end up at an unbalanced table, if you keep your wits about you for that first adventure, you should be level 2 by the next one and will have much less to worry about.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

I mentioned this in another thread but want to put it here as well. If you get your series tickets out of order just make sure to mention it to your marshall when you show for your game. 9 times out of 10 they can snap them back into order for you so you can enjoy the story in the right order. While Empire Strikes back is awesome it makes more sense watching it 2nd.

Normal
Small
Posted by heychadwick

Hi.  I have a question.   I have always heard about the special events that are done at GenCon for Living Greyhawk and then Adventure League.  Are there any this year?  What are they?  How do you sign up for them?  First time doing DnD at GenCon.

Normal
Small
Posted by dwintheiser

If you're talking about 'special event' as in a convention special, then most storylines being run by Baldman have one -- the MOON 3 series has specials running on Sunday at 8am and noon (they're marked as '3-S'), while each of the D&D Experience tracks also has a special worked into its four-session path.

Unfortunately, all these options are currently sold out, and it's unlikely that others will be added (though it's possible that some folks with tickets now might return them before the convention).

If you're talking about a 'special event' like the D&D Open or similar sort of thing, that sort of event hasn't been run at GenCon in a number of years and isn't planned for this year, either.

Normal
Small
Posted by heychadwick

The first option.  Much appreciate it.

Normal
Small
Posted by tparhamjr

Sorry, one more - new to AL and all that.

Signed up for an Intro session so we wouldn't miss out on being able to go back, plus it sounds like starting 2-1 with some XP on the log sheet would be a good thing.

Given the intro is a "1 of 4" situation, should we try to squeeze in a second intro get in good position for 2-1, or will any of the four put us in equally good position to jump into 2-1?

Had hoped to do some exhibit hall time between intro and 2-1, but we could reorganize our schedule if we'll need more XP to avoid being a drag on our table.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

You'll be fine either way. It's Gen con have fun. 

Normal
Small
Posted by jffalaschi

I’m new to 5th ed and to AL. How fast does your character gain levels in AL? I’m scheduled for the Introduction and the MOON 2 series. I ask because my schedule will be super tight and I would like to do some thinking on character progression before Gen Con, to save time. Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by jelake

If you play a 2 hour scenario at level 1, you're pretty much guaranteed to gain a level, unless your group really fouls up.  4 hour scenario getting you close to 3rd level from 1st.  3-4 4 hour scenarios to get you from 1 to level 4 in my estimate.  Once you hit level 4 you can spend 20 downtime to "catch up" which would allow you to jump to level 5 for Tier 2 play if you wanted.  Being level 4 can be slow and require multiple Tier 1 adventures to reach the required experience to level to 5.

I never played an intro so I am not sure of the exp, but it's 2 hours so probably, but going through 3 4 hour scenarios of the MOON series should get you to level 4 with up to 30 downtime.

Normal
Small
Posted by tparhamjr

So, we were lucky enough to end up being able to extend our trip a day (whoo hoo!), but when I tried to adjust schedule so we could experience both the MOON 2's and some MOON 3's, I was unable to return tickets (apparently there was a deadline I missed).

I purchased 3 extra MOON 2 sessions to fill our extra day, but is there any chance of us being able to get our later MOON 2's swapped out for Moon 3's once we arrive in Indy? Not sure if that's what was meant by the 9 times out of 10 above, or if that kind of swap is only likely within one of the trilogies.

If swapping isn't kosher, I suppose we could just bring secondary characters. That said, I'm rolling up a Rustfire dwarf as my first ever AL character, so would LOVE to get into those juicy MOON 3's for all the dwarven goodness. Maybe even the 3-S festival at the end? (or is that kind of thing a full-on pipe dream at this point?)

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

Swapping is totally groovy as long as we have the space. We have to honor all the actual ticket holders first then we can shift others into those games. So your #1 best bet is to swap those MOON 2 tickets for MOON 3 tickets onsite (they have a place you can do it right outside our room I believe). Then you have guaranteed seats. Next is to just let HQ know when those come up and we will do our best but you will be treated like generic tickets. THanks

Normal
Small
Posted by tparhamjr

Awesome, will do! Also, thanks for being so awesomely responsive on the forums. You guys rock!

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

Thanks. We do our best.

Normal
Small
Posted by mootmacleod

Just a short post to thank all the BMG staff and crew for making my return to D&D such a fun and enjoyable experience.  Thanks also to the fellow travelers who were more than helpful and caring for what can only be described as a newbie in the forest.  I managed to squeeze in 3 sessions (including the 2 hour preview) and I'm hooked all over again.

Beyond Origins, Gen Con and the winter event are there other ways to experience the Moonshae story?   I would love to finish up the campaign, but expect it might take until Origins and/or Gen Con next year to do so.

In any case thanks again for the good times!

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Had a GREAT time this year. Noise levels were super low and the GM's we had were awesome, especially the fellow Saturday night. Yes we filled out the forms for them. ;)

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester mootmacleod

mootmacleod wrote:
Just a short post to thank all the BMG staff and crew for making my return to D&D such a fun and enjoyable experience.  Thanks also to the fellow travelers who were more than helpful and caring for what can only be described as a newbie in the forest.  I managed to squeeze in 3 sessions (including the 2 hour preview) and I'm hooked all over again.
Beyond Origins, Gen Con and the winter event are there other ways to experience the Moonshae story?   I would love to finish up the campaign, but expect it might take until Origins and/or Gen Con next year to do so.
In any case thanks again for the good times!

The Moonshae Isles adventures will premiere at Origins, Gen Con, and Winter Fantasy. They will all be available for purchase through the DM's Guild. So even if you cannot make it to all the shows you can still get the adventures, play them at home, and be ready for the next show with all the new friends you haven't met yet.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester braewe

braewe wrote:
Had a GREAT time this year. Noise levels were super low and the GM's we had were awesome, especially the fellow Saturday night. Yes we filled out the forms for them. ;)

I love that new space (even though we have already busted out of it and started to expand down the hallway) and Derek will have to pry it from my cold dead hands if he wants it (and I'm a Lich - so cold and dead will not help make it any easier on him).

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 3
1 3