AL 5E D&D Games - How to Sign Up?
2
2
Normal
Small
Posted by wavester mathguru83

mathguru83 wrote:
@BMG are there any CCC content available this year? I don't see that, epics or specials in the event registration. Thanks!

All of the MOON events (which is every single D&D thing we are doing at the show) are CCC content. BMG has been given their own area in the Forgotten Realms (Moonshae Isles) to develop. We will be kicking off that new campaign full tilt at Gen Con this summer.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester jmccabe

jmccabe wrote:
I'm very interested in the D&D XP program. I'm having a hard time deciding which tier to sign up for. Where can I get more info on the 2 options? Do you need any information about the Moon prior to playing in either tier?

Sign-up for both Tiers LOL. The only difference is one is a brand new Tier One trilogy with a special and the other is a brand new Tier Two trilogy with a special. No prior knowledge needed but if you want more we will have a Moonshae Gazetteer available for sale before the show.

Normal
Small
Posted by darkranger65

My brother and I are attending Gen Con for the second time in 20 years. We are going to sign up for the Mid D & D Experience (Adventurers League) track hosted by Goodman games. How do we confirm we will be at the same table for the 4 game event? Thanks for any answers!

Normal
Small
Posted by rong mathguru83

 
Our gaming group was a bit disappointed not to see an EPIC or OPEN or any T3 or T4 content, though we are excited about the launch of the new campaign region. 

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

Darkranger65 - Super easy. Show up with your tickets. Say "Hey we are a group of 2". Our marshals will find a group of 4 and say "Hey look. New friends. Have a seat and have fun"

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

We have never had the D&D Open at Gen Con (nor will we at any time in the near future). That is an Origins event. For Epics we have shy'd away from them in the past due to just not having the proper space and acoustics to do them properly. Now with us being in the same great location for a 2nd year and expanding our space there a little it might be possible to think about adding them back in but it is just REALLY hard to do those events proper at Gen Con.

Ya we discussed T3 and T4 a little but they are by FAR the minority of play at the show. 80+% of play is at T1 and T2. That plus us launching a new campaign made us to decide to focus on that cool launch, people making new characters for the Moonshae Isles campaign, and then let them play a ton and have fun. When you see the cool log sheets, our huge campaign guide stocked full of cool players and area background information, and awesome events you won't want to play those higher level characters anyway.

Normal
Small
Posted by rong wavester

wavester wrote:
We have never had the D&D Open at Gen Con (nor will we at any time in the near future). That is an Origins event. For Epics we have shy'd away from them in the past due to just not having the proper space and acoustics to do them properly. Now with us being in the same great location for a 2nd year and expanding our space there a little it might be possible to think about adding them back in but it is just REALLY hard to do those events proper at Gen Con.
Ya we discussed T3 and T4 a little but they are by FAR the minority of play at the show. 80+% of play is at T1 and T2. That plus us launching a new campaign made us to decide to focus on that cool launch, people making new characters for the Moonshae Isles campaign, and then let them play a ton and have fun. When you see the cool log sheets, our huge campaign guide stocked full of cool players and area background information, and awesome events you won't want to play those higher level characters anyway.
We are looking forward to the fresh campaign :)

Normal
Small
Posted by donniep

So, wavester, did I read correctly - if you played the three T1 Moon Trilogy sessions with a 1st level - you would have enough XP for Tier 2?  Or are you suggesting you would be level 4 and would use downtime to uptier?  Just want to make sure we have it straight so we can play our GENCON tickets and event slots.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

My understanding is playing either of our Tier 1 Trilogies at Gen Con (one in general release and one as part of the D&D XP tracks) will put you to 4th level at which time you can use the downtime rule to bump to 5th and continue with Tier 2. If you miss a little xp here or there there is also the Intro adventures which has 4 mini-adventures.

Normal
Small
Posted by donniep wavester

wavester wrote:
My understanding is playing either of our Tier 1 Trilogies at Gen Con (one in general release and one as part of the D&D XP tracks) will put you to 4th level at which time you can use the downtime rule to bump to 5th and continue with Tier 2. If you miss a little xp here or there there is also the Intro adventures which has 4 mini-adventures.

Perfect - thanks for the timely answer!  We will be ready to just that.  Thanks for running such a great event year after year.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

You are most welcome. Watching everybody have fun at the show does at lot to compensate for spending half a year working on it LOL. 

Normal
Small
Posted by vehementi

Is AL some strict thing? Can I just make a level 6 rules-compliant character and join the T2 stuff?

Last year I bought a ticket to something that sounds a lot like this, and it was a Tomb of Annihilation intro thing and by crazy luck my session was DM'd by Jeremy Crawford. Was that this? (Last year was my first Gen Con and I went in super blind). If that was this why was it Tomb of Annihilation? Was that a special thing? (You said above you aren't related to the other materials)

Normal
Small
Posted by rong vehementi

vehementi wrote:
Is AL some strict thing? Can I just make a level 6 rules-compliant character and join the T2 stuff?
Last year I bought a ticket to something that sounds a lot like this, and it was a Tomb of Annihilation intro thing and by crazy luck my session was DM'd by Jeremy Crawford. Was that this? (Last year was my first Gen Con and I went in super blind). If that was this why was it Tomb of Annihilation? Was that a special thing? (You said above you aren't related to the other materials)
AL does have a set of rules for organized play to try to help ensure a uniform experience. One of the rules is that all AL legal characters must start at level 1. You can download the Player's Pack on DMs Guild. It contains everything you need to know. Alternately, you can just show up to play a T1 game (Level 1-4) and use a level 1 pregenerated character that you can then take with you from table to table. Also, if you have the character you played last year in Crawford's game, you can most likely play that one again (as his games at cons tend to be AL legal).

Normal
Small
Posted by vehementi rong

rong wrote:
vehementi wrote:
Is AL some strict thing? Can I just make a level 6 rules-compliant character and join the T2 stuff?
Last year I bought a ticket to something that sounds a lot like this, and it was a Tomb of Annihilation intro thing and by crazy luck my session was DM'd by Jeremy Crawford. Was that this? (Last year was my first Gen Con and I went in super blind). If that was this why was it Tomb of Annihilation? Was that a special thing? (You said above you aren't related to the other materials)
AL does have a set of rules for organized play to try to help ensure a uniform experience. One of the rules is that all AL legal characters must start at level 1. You can download the Player's Pack on DMs Guild. It contains everything you need to know. Alternately, you can just show up to play a T1 game (Level 1-4) and use a level 1 pregenerated character that you can then take with you from table to table. Also, if you have the character you played last year in Crawford's game, you can most likely play that one again (as his games at cons tend to be AL legal).
Hmm, well I don't care about AL at all -- if I make a legal level 5 character (because say I want to play in the mid level campaign) and just say "Yes sir I am totally in the AL as long as there are no follow up questions" do people care? 

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

DMs can ask to see your log sheet showing the games your character has played. That said, I have never been asked to show my logsheets. AL is built on the honor system. Also keep in mind AL has specific guidelines for character creation and leveling.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

We ask at big shows more often as people get confused or try to ignore the rules a lot. If your character is not legal you will be moved to a different game. If your not willing to follow the rules leave the ticket for somebody who is. Thanks

Normal
Small
Posted by uriel-393

Hey there, couple of questions...

My current AL characters are 3rd, 12th, and 18th level. I started the 18th (6,000 or so Xp shy of 19th) level character way back when 5th started, and am hoping that there are high level games going on? Hoping to get him the 20th at some point, and then finally let the poor guy retire to a life of leisure (Kidding, I'll move him to a non AL thing that we are going to do, but I digress...).

Wondering if there will be offerings for 12th (Tier 3 iirc?), and Tier 4?
Also, how much of my 18th Level character's log sheets should I be expected to bring? It's nearly a notebook in and of itself at this point...Haha.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

There are no T4 (or T3) events being run by BMG this year at Gen Con. The focus is on the new setting for their CCCs and the associated launch.

Normal
Small
Posted by tparhamjr

My wife and I just got signed up for a late night MOON 2-1 on the one day we can afford to attend. Who needs sleep when there's D&D to play, right?!

We've never done AL before, but the allure of finally getting to play (#foreverDM) was just too strong. I think we can handle AL-legal character gen, but how we get hold of all the awesome campaign supporting material, logsheets, etc. that was referenced earlier in this thread (by ... wavester, I believe?)

We want to make rocking characters using all the Moonshaes lore we can muster!

Also, I'm assuming the tables will run Theatre of the Mind, yes? Or do we need new minis?*

*The correct answer, regardless of reality, is that we need new minis :)

Normal
Small
Posted by dwintheiser tparhamjr

tparhamjr wrote:I think we can handle AL-legal character gen, but how we get hold of all the awesome campaign supporting material, logsheets, etc. that was referenced earlier in this thread (by ... wavester, I believe?)

I believe the CCC-specific logsheets and the like will be available at the event.

Lore is a good question -- there hasn't been much 'official' published about the Moonshaes since the launch of 5th edition, so though there's a fair amount of older lore out there (dating all the way back to what I believe is the first TSR-published Forgotten Realms novel, "Darkwalker on Moonshae"), it's not known how much of that lore is still valid or relevant as of the current campaign date.

And yes, you'll need new minis, obviously! Though AL DMs are allowed to do theater of the mind or minis-and-maps as they choose, there shouldn't be any problem with you and your wife bringing minis to the table.

Good gaming!

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
2
2