Dungeons and Dragons events
Normal
Small
Posted by greenthing

Join the D&D Adventurer's League!  League games at GenCon are hosted by Baldman Games LLC. For more information about the Adventurer's League, go to http://dndadventurersleague.org/, click on the "Download Now" button at the top of the page, and download the D&D Adventurers League Player's Pack (you will be directed to dmsguild.com for the download).

Normal
Small
Posted by terryh708 garhkal

garhkal wrote:
As an old school lover of 1/2e adnd, i really wish there were MORE of those events offered..
I have submitted 3 1st Edition/AD&D events.  Two are identical.

RPG18126434 Cleansing of Tegel Manor Thu @ 1:00 PM6 hrs
Cost: $6
RPG18126435 Cleansing of Tegel Manor Fri @ 12:00 PM6 hrs
Cost: $6
RPG18126436 Snow Witches Again.Sat @ 3:00 PM8 hrs
Cost $8

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

Is there really a 1st edition ADVANCED D&D? 

My recall is that 2nd edition was the Advanced edition.  Still have some of the books...

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

First also had an advanced.

Normal
Small
Posted by miked

How it went was original d&d (3 books and supplements) 1974, then you have d&d (Holmes cleaned up od&d) 1978 went to 3 rd level, AD&D 1st 1978 basic d&d 1981 expanded by expert rules, becmi d&d 1983, AD&D 2nd 1989, rules Cyclopedia 1991, dnd 3rd which was AD&D but they dropped the advanced 2000, dnd 4th 2008, and dnd 5th 2014.  Or you have the original 1974 then in 1978 the split between AD&D and d&d until tsr killed d&d in the mid 90s and then you only have AD&D until 2000 when wizards of the coast dropped the a and it became d&d but still based on AD&D

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal braewe

braewe wrote:
First also had an advanced.

1st ed was the original ADND..  Prior to that, it was just D&D..

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42

Looking through last year' events, it appears everything is listed as 13+. Since he has been playing regularly,  I assume it is ok to sign us up for those events even though he will be 11?

Also, in last year's event schedule it looks like only 3 modules were available for character levels 1-4. Is that generally all that is available for new AL players?

Thank you again for all the replies.

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

Among the Adventure League Games run by Baldman Games, there were 8 adventures for T1 (levels 1-4):

CORE 3-1, 3-2, 3-3 (each 4 hours long)
Intro to Adventure (07-01) was 5 parts (each 2 hours long)

That is 22 hours of play if you managed to fit them all in. So while it may seem like a low number, it was plenty to fill the weekend along with all the other things to do at GenCon.

As for 2018, it depends on when the new season's material is released, but I would suspect the offering to be similar, with a preview 5 part intro adventure to the new season as well as one or more of BMGs trilogies for T1 play.

I highly recommend the 2 hour intro adventures for new players and younger players (at least for the past seasons, and I don't expect that to change). They fit well in a two hour time slot and allow for lots of learning as well as trying out new things.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester galvatron42

galvatron42 wrote:
Looking through last year' events, it appears everything is listed as 13+. Since he has been playing regularly,  I assume it is ok to sign us up for those events even though he will be 11?
Also, in last year's event schedule it looks like only 3 modules were available for character levels 1-4. Is that generally all that is available for new AL players?
Thank you again for all the replies.

All the events are listed as 13+ as they are not specifically written for small children (our DM's adjust and always give younger kids a great, and appropriate, good time) but if we set that bar lower (I think the next bar is 6+) then it shifts the type of players that show up. A 10 or 11 year old with their parent or older brother is perfectly fine and fun. A parent bringing a bunch of 6 or 7 years olds to drop off for a 'kids' game is another matter.

We will have enough content in the 1-4 range that if you play it all you will end up at least 5th level (and then we have plenty more to play at that point).

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42

Thank you for the information. We will probably do 3 or 4 5th edition games during the convention. There is a lot of stuff he wants to try. Look forward to seeing you in Indy!

Normal
Small
Posted by ascantla

We tried the Baldman's game - introduction to D&D last year. We had never done a convention D&D, though I run a game at home. We brought a friend that had NEVER played D&D, and I always DM. We were able to sit down and grab some pregens and we all had an absolute blast. The DM for the game was awesome, especially when it came to our friend who had no idea what to do, he had a little bag of cheap dinosaur figures for minis for everyone, and he kept everything moving. I'm hoping to get into another game this year. 

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

Awesome!!!! Glad to hear you had a great time. We have over 200 DMs working for us and over 8,000 players every year. It's exhausting but hearing stories like that help make the long night's easier. We have some exciting new things for Gen Con this summer that we cannot wait to announce but we will have our Intro to D&D are even bigger and cooler this year. 

Normal
Small
Posted by floatyrar

Are there Events missing from the Catalog for Baldman Games, My wife and I have been doing the D&D Experience for the last several years, but we don't see any high track for the EXP this year, and don't see any games over tier 2 at all? Are there any plans to add any 11+ events this year?

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

There are no D&D events missing from the schedule. With us launching a new campaign in the Moonshaes we are focusing on new characters and new stories in this region that will eventually progress to those tiers. 

Normal
Small
Posted by kreg0004

Any tier 3 games going on at all? I'm having a hard time finding any.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

There are no Tier 3+ games being run at Gen Con by BMG this year. We are launching a new campaign and content for it.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.