Dungeons and Dragons events
Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42

My 10 year old son has recently started playing dnd with me here at home. He really enjoys it so I am hoping to get us in to some dnd events this year at the convention. Its been years since I've played a dnd game at gencon, so I'm curious about a few things.

Since Wizards is no longer at the convention, is there any official designee that runs events for them? 

Are there events run that kids can play in, or are they all geared towards adults?

I'm looking for 5th edition events specifically. Id be fine with trying out the Adventurers League organized play system if they have it there.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Normal
Small
Posted by nesbit37

They have it.  Baldman's games runs the events and it is all adventurer's league.  They have hundreds of slots of D&D games each Gen Con.  Being AL adventurers, they are not geared for kids or adults, just general D&D playing.  Kids are definitely welcome, but they will most likely be playing at a table with adults.  I am not aware of D&D events targeted specifically at kids at Gen Con but they probably exist in a small capacity.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

You can see hundreds of D&D events in last year's catalog. I imagine there are plenty that accept 10 year olds, but you're welcome to peruse last year's list. Look for the "Age Required" field.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

We have tons of D&D Games and plenty of DM's and tables for kids. We make sure all of our 'Introduction to D&D' DM's are super kid and new player friendly. Games are two hours long and you often have 4-5 different ones to pick from (so if you have a blast and want to play more we have you covered). If the have even more fun we can roll them up into our 4 hour games and they can continue to level and play their new characters until they collapse or it hits their bed time (and really - no kid should have a bedtime at Gen Con - it's just not right).

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42 wavester

wavester wrote:
We have tons of D&D Games and plenty of DM's and tables for kids. We make sure all of our 'Introduction to D&D' DM's are super kid and new player friendly. Games are two hours long and you often have 4-5 different ones to pick from (so if you have a blast and want to play more we have you covered). If the have even more fun we can roll them up into our 4 hour games and they can continue to level and play their new characters until they collapse or it hits their bed time (and really - no kid should have a bedtime at Gen Con - it's just not right).
Where do they run the games? In the convention center or one of the hotels? Trying to decide which hotel I want to try for this year.

Also, do you use pregen characters, roll them up at the table or bring your own?

If he is still relatively new to the game but has some sessions under his belt, would you suggest we sign up for the intro games or the regular games? I'll be playing with him in everything.

Thanks very much for the replies!

Normal
Small
Posted by mormanstoutcask galvatron42

galvatron42 wrote:
wavester wrote:
Where do they run the games? In the convention center or one of the hotels? Trying to decide which hotel I want to try for this year.Also, do you use pregen characters, roll them up at the table or bring your own?
If he is still relatively new to the game but has some sessions under his belt, would you suggest we sign up for the intro games or the regular games? I'll be playing with him in everything.
Thanks very much for the replies!
Last year they did most of the games at either the hyatt or jw marriot, can't remember which. They do have a massive Pathfinder room in the convention center if you'd rather take a few months to teach your son that system. Either way, you have a few options and whatever hotel you stay at will be a close walk to whichever destination your trying to get to.

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42

I'm and old Pathfinder guy who made the switch back to Dungeons and Dragons with 5th edition. I think the ruleset is a little better fit for my gaming wishes and a little easier to get my son involved in. 

I hope they are in the JW. When I was showing my son the hotel options he immediately jumped at the JW. He thinks it' the coolest looking one. I'm not complaining. I have not had the chance to stay there yet so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Thank you for the reply.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I'm not sure which version of D&D you are playing, but your son may enjoy NASCRAG. It's technically based on Pathfinder, but it's very 'rules light' in the sense that roleplaying and working with the party are encouraged. Children are definitely welcome, as long as they want to play!

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester galvatron42

galvatron42 wrote:
I'm and old Pathfinder guy who made the switch back to Dungeons and Dragons with 5th edition. I think the ruleset is a little better fit for my gaming wishes and a little easier to get my son involved in. 
I hope they are in the JW. When I was showing my son the hotel options he immediately jumped at the JW. He thinks it' the coolest looking one. I'm not complaining. I have not had the chance to stay there yet so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
Thank you for the reply.
We are in the JW again thus year unless something weird happens. Just saw the replies and will get more info later. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce

At least for level 1 modules both the main 5th edition organized play group (baldmangames) and the Paizo run Pathfinder games have pregens available.  Also in both cases there are organized play rules for character creation if you wanted to make your own ahead of time. Rolling up at the table is not really viable for those events I think.

For Pathfinder I'm pretty sure pregens are also available at levels 4 and 7 and if you're willing to spend the time there has been an option of building a character using demo systems of herolab in the Pathfinder room.

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42 aegoce

aegoce wrote:
At least for level 1 modules both the main 5th edition organized play group (baldmangames) and the Paizo run Pathfinder games have pregens available.  Also in both cases there are organized play rules for character creation if you wanted to make your own ahead of time. Rolling up at the table is not really viable for those events I think.
For Pathfinder I'm pretty sure pregens are also available at levels 4 and 7 and if you're willing to spend the time there has been an option of building a character using demo systems of herolab in the Pathfinder room.
Thank you.  We would definitely like to create our own characters. I'l have to start looking around for the organized play rules. Thanks again.

Normal
Small
Posted by wavester

We normally have anywhere from 12 to 17 hours of content playable by lower level characters. For rules on making those characters and such things go to the D&D Adventurers League home page (simple Google search should pull it up first thing - on my phone right now) - there is also a Facebook group full of tens of thousands of super helpful people ready to answer questions.

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42 wavester

wavester wrote:
We normally have anywhere from 12 to 17 hours of content playable by lower level characters. For rules on making those characters and such things go to the D&D Adventurers League home page (simple Google search should pull it up first thing - on my phone right now) - there is also a Facebook group full of tens of thousands of super helpful people ready to answer questions.
Ok, Ill print out the rules and we will make our characters. Will ToA be the season running at Gen Con?

What would be your suggestion regarding the type of events we sign up for? If he has played a few times, will it be ok to play a regular session or should we limit ourselves to only the intro games? Would there be more than one adventure option for the intro sessions?

I apologize for all the questions, but I've never played any organized play other than Pathfinder Society and I've never played any with my son. Thank you very much for all your help.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Just let the dm and other players know you're new and in my experience all will be well. 

Maybe one intro but after that jump on in.

Normal
Small
Posted by bwd72 helenbb

helenbb wrote:
I'm not sure which version of D&D you are playing, but your son may enjoy NASCRAG. It's technically based on Pathfinder, but it's very 'rules light' in the sense that roleplaying and working with the party are encouraged. Children are definitely welcome, as long as they want to play!
NASCRAG is a blast!  Highly recommended!

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

I had a lot of fun in the Baldman 5e D&D games last summer.  Great GM and great players.  The final game brought all of the tables together as we defended the city of Phlan against a demonic invasion.  I've never been a part of something like that before, and it was very enjoyable.  No kids at our table, but I saw a few youngsters elsewhere and the experience felt very family friendly.

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42

Thank you everyone! I am really looking forward to playing some games with my son this year!

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

As an old school lover of 1/2e adnd, i really wish there were MORE of those events offered..

Normal
Small
Posted by stahlnee garhkal

garhkal wrote:
As an old school lover of 1/2e adnd, i really wish there were MORE of those events offered..
  Agree. But what I like is events and games not offered at other conventions typically. True Dungeon, Worldbuilder Party, seminars with guest that dont do many shows, etc.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle garhkal

garhkal wrote:
I tried Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC) for the first time ever at GenCon last summer and had a friggin' blast.  After playing one that I had a ticket for (and had the most enjoyable game of the con thus far), I managed to get into another one the following day with a generic and had THE best game I played at GenCon with an outstanding GM.

DCC has a genuinely 1e feel to it, blending those original rules with just enough of 3.5 D&D to make it a bit easier to play (no THAC0!) though character death and awful dismemberment is commonplace.  Just like original D&D!  There is a lot more roleplaying than roll play, as players are encouraged to be specific in their actions - even during combat (fighter and dwarf get 'deeds' which are a lot of fun).  If you haven't tried DCC and you're a fan of old-style D&D, I encourage you to do so. Don't be intimidated by the funky dice that are used! :)

Sign in to write a new post. New Post