Indiana Business Journal Articles
Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

Actually, I wasn't referring to either of us.  While we have a difference of opinion about how to interpret a news article, we have so based on the merits of the facts and the strength of our arguments.  We have not devolved into 

with pointless name calling and baiting.  I was commenting, as Rhone pointed out, on the  negative commenting on the forums.  I agree I feel sorry for those sad little people who only find the joy in making anonymous statements for the sole purpose of creating strife and anger in others.

But how much is enough to make you feel that Gencon has done enough.  Managing all of those events has a cost, wages, equipment, lost revenue for the space, etc.  Now I'm making an assumption that Gencon is donating all of that to make the charity events happen but I'll give the benefit of the doubt as they've given no reason not to.  They could scrap all that, and just go with a simple "would you like to donate" button on the website and say they will match it.  But i don't think they would get as much money as they do now.

In the end, Gencon provided fun ways for people to contribute to a charity.  Did Gencon get credit for the contribution, yes.  Did they deserve it, depends on who you ask, I say yes, you say no.  Either way, charities got money they might have gotten otherwise.

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
Raidkills,
My Apologies - I was attempting to put the money amount into a more recognizable percent of income . I was in no way  attempting to insinuate  that if an individual had a level of giving below which they were deficient .Again my apologies if I inadvertently insulted anyone 

No problem.  Like I said, I do recognize the point you are trying to make, although I guess what I could add is that if you do look at the numbers there, it's like, "Oh, so that's the best we could do, huh?"  when you look at us gamers as a collective given the amount of money we spend throughout the 4 days, me included.  I easily could have bumped up and paid a bit more on something in the charity auction then I did.  

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

Traveller - My second apology then for misinterpreting  .
I agree this has been one of the more non-emotional discussions on this board (or most boards ).

It actually isn't an amount: they can donate as much or as little as they wish . -It is the excessive amount of self congratulatory mentions of the amount . 

Don't get me wrong-at the core it is very good that that charities get the money. I just disagree with Gen Cons handling of it .

even a simple  single e-mail blast with words to the effect of :

"Thank you for helping to make Gen Con 2018 a record breaking year . With all that was going on you may have not had  a chance to help  our official 2018 charities - here are their  direct donation links . Or choose a favorite local charity . Thank you  from Gen Con " 

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:"Thank you for helping to make Gen Con 2018 a record breaking year . With all that was going on you may have not had  a chance to help  our official 2018 charities - here are their  direct donation links . Or choose a favorite local charity . Thank you  from Gen Con " 

That's a fairly reasonable idea.  Maybe they could have a 'complimentary' booth space for the charity partner to have a set up of some kind to shill for their charities and provide information in the dealer hall itself.  (I don't recall seeing that kind of thing if it did actually exist.)

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam

This is exactly what Gencon should be doing. Using its leverage to demand more and better for its attendees. Whether it’s hotel space, convention space, transportation or WiFi.

They are in Indy until 2022. So if Indy wants a 5 year commitment, they should be prepared to meet our needs.

Normal
Small
Posted by bakermouse10133 raidkillsbugsded

They do actually have a space set up for the charity's called "community row" its between  the convention center and lucas oil in the tunnel. You will often see a local Star Wars group there with a working R2-D2 unit. It isn't in the dealer hall, and it would be nicer if it wasn't so set away, but if you do anything out at Lucas Oil you passed their tables. 

Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

IDEAS:
The GenCon wishing fountain (though it might fill up with True Dungeon tokens).
Vendor random grab bags for charity.
I GAVE AT GENCON buttons.
Gaming with celebrities for charity.
Valet parking for charity.
Costume rental for charity.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

If you want to help the GenCon Charities, all you have to do is play in the Nascrag Charity Event.  It's four hours of Nascrag-style Pathfinder fun, and all the proceeds (even GenCon's cut) goes to the charity.  

New Post Sign in to write a new post.