Shout out to security and staff for professionally handling a pervert
Normal
Small
Posted by shannonigans

Hi everyone - as we move back into our real life grind, I wanted to have a serious conversation about something I experienced at the con. I'm also trying to get ahold of the security office to help me pursue legal charges. If you or any of your friends possibly witnessed this - please contact me. 

This was my first Gencon, and it was overall amazing. But Saturday afternoon, after my events wrapped up, I met up with my boyfriend in the exhibit hall to check out a few more games before our evening events. We were talking to some booth staff when I'm alerted that someone had just taken a video up my skirt. WTH? Well, he was long gone, so unfortunately nothing I can do...

Until a few minutes later when the guy came back around for a second try and got caught by myself and the gentleman that saw his first attempt.Bystanders quickly cornered him in the booth so he couldn't escape, and the booth staff got their manager and security.

The video was deleted, but things were escalating quickly - my assailant was offering me money and to buy me the game we'd been looking at if I let him go. So luckily, booth management and security showed up to take control of things before everyone lost their cool.

I then opted to spend the rest of my afternoon/early evening filing a police report and giving statements. Unfortunately, since the video was deleted and didn't show anything vulgar (my petticoat was 10+ yards of glorious ruffles and I had biker shorts on to keep chub rub at Bay) - the cops weren't sure they could prosecute. BUT - he has been banned from Gencon for life, and from the ICC for 2 years.

I wanted to give kudos to the gentleman who alerted me and caught the guy, and to the bystanders who made a clear statement that this behavior is not ok. Also a shout out to Gencon and ICC staff - you were all extremely professional and made me feel much safer and secure enough to file a report. 

After some serious conversations with my boyfriend, we will be returning next year - the reaction of bystanders and staff sent a much louder message to us than the actions of a single pervert.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

Sorry that happened to you.  I am personally amazed that they were able to track this guy in the massively crowded exhibit hall.  Upskirt photography is so weird, because people generally wear underpants, so you're not going to get bare stuff.  But I guess that's the nature of the fetish... the fact that it is surreptitious and taboo.

I have to tell you the truth, there were some products there that looked good and the devil on my shoulder said "Just take it!  Nobody will know!"  I resisted temptation on mainly moral reasons, but I did keep wondering how easily I could have gotten away with theft.  It sounds like it would not have been easy.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

Glad to hear that the situation was resolved so finally (with him getting the lifetime GenCon ban).

Normal
Small
Posted by dragonheart

Being a law enforcement officer for 14 years, I would like to say thank you to the bystanders that did ANYTHING but stand by.  I know had I seen it, I would have definitely notified the victim, her boyfriend and police/security staff and said person would not have been able to destroy evidence.  I am sorry that you were a victim of this pervert and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

I am sorry you had to go through that but glad it was handled so well. 

Normal
Small
Posted by nwarkguy

Hi, I was the bystander that saw this incident and reported it to this attendee.  I just wanted to let you know that the local [ Indy ] cops called me about an hour ago for a witness statement about this incident.

I wish that I could have done more to prevent this from happening.  But at least, that is one pervert that will not return.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

That's really stupid on the pervert guys part. Not only perverted, just, literally no intelligence behind that.

What do upskirt videos do? Do they sell them or something? Why would you want that on your phone of some random person? Google images exists if they have to have pictures of underwear or body parts. Pure ignorance. 

Normal
Small
Posted by deadsaidfred

I spent some time doing computer forensics and wanted to point out that deleted things aren't always really/permanently deleted and its important to remember that there are cloud backups for devices as well.

Nicely handled by all.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent rayken

rayken wrote:
That's really stupid on the pervert guys part. Not only perverted, just, literally no intelligence behind that.
What do upskirt videos do? Do they sell them or something? Why would you want that on your phone of some random person? Google images exists if they have to have pictures of underwear or body parts. Pure ignorance. 
It's a fetish.  Fetishes don't make sense to people who don't follow that fetish.  I think part of the appeal is the taboo nature of it.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
rayken wrote:
It's a fetish.  Fetishes don't make sense to people who don't follow that fetish.  I think part of the appeal is the taboo nature of it.

Ah, okay. I'm a little out of touch. They get off to taking sneaky pictures. Like an addict. I wonder if they freak out when they see skirts and start twitching. "GOTTA TAKE A PICTURE. ONE WASN'T ENOUGH." I wonder what they do at the beach, just take pictures of butts?

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent rayken

rayken wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
rayken wrote:

Ah, okay. I'm a little out of touch. They get off to taking sneaky pictures. Like an addict. I wonder if they freak out when they see skirts and start twitching. "GOTTA TAKE A PICTURE. ONE WASN'T ENOUGH." I wonder what they do at the beach, just take pictures of butts?
No because at the beach everyone is already walking around in swimsuits.  It's completely normal.  There wouldn't be a taboo, so it wouldn't be as appealing.

Normal
Small
Posted by nwarkguy

To be honest, I think that this discussion has gotten a bit off base.

We will not know what was going through this guy's [ and I use that term loosely ] mind for taking these photos.

The whole point of the original post is that we need to remain vigilant of those who would take advantage of this or other cons to fulfill their desires whether it be something like this or something worse.

Security will never see everything that happens at every booth and every corner.  It is up to all of us to call out bad behavior and take action when needed.

There is no telling how many other con-goers that this sick person assaulted in the same way in the three previous days of the con before he was caught.

To use the rallying cry and change it a bit...  Cosplay and Costuming is NOT consent.

The original poster has been through enough in having this perv to try to take her diginty and that he did take a large chunk of her time when she could have been enjoying the con and anything else she had planned.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent nwarkguy

nwarkguy wrote:
To use the rallying cry and change it a bit...  Cosplay and Costuming is NOT consent.
People taking clandestine upskirt photos are not generally swayed by lame slogans.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
nwarkguy wrote:To use the rallying cry and change it a bit...  Cosplay and Costuming is NOT consent.

People taking clandestine upskirt photos are not generally swayed by lame slogans.

Or excellent slogans.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by indyfoodguy

I'm really sorry this happened to you.  Very glad to hear that security/ISP were at least somewhat helpful.  Still, it's a shame that subhuman scum got off so easily...

Normal
Small
Posted by tyrodboshi austicke

austicke wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
nwarkguy wrote:To use the rallying cry and change it a bit...  Cosplay and Costuming is NOT consent.

Or excellent slogans._____________________________________
/clapping
​​​​​​​ well said!

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent tyrodboshi

tyrodboshi wrote:
austicke wrote:
mstabosz wrote:

Or excellent slogans._____________________________________
/clapping
​​​​​​​ well said!
It really doesn't take a whole lot of creativity to take a popular slogan about rape, then substitute one word, in order to appear "hip".

Normal
Small
Posted by nwarkguy lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:It really doesn't take a whole lot of creativity to take a popular slogan about rape, then substitute one word, in order to appear "hip".
Well, you are correct.  However, that is your opinion just as my post was mine.

If you feel like discussing the psychology of perversion or the condoning of it, I would suggest that you take that to a different forum.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.