The Good, the Meh, the Ugly.
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
I am assuming that you are also using sarcasm or perhaps just  being deliberately obtuse . Either way, indeed it is your time and money - Just as it the time and money that your GM spent to put on that game/event . However, unlike you, that GM is being judged on the total number of actual players. It doesn't matter if you return the ticket or not ,if it is not handed to the GM it doesn't exist (in the eyes of Gen Con anyway ). Those no-shows have a direct effect of the GM's ability to put on games/events the following year(s).
Just as a theoretical exercise : What would your reaction be if you got a ticket to an event and when/if you showed up the GM/EO said "sorry ,I gave your seat to a walk-up player I knew would be here "  ?

Plus if enough people feel like you do, and don't show up (just because), it hurts those who DID, if not enough are there for the event to run..

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811 grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
I am assuming that you are also using sarcasm or perhaps just  being deliberately obtuse . Either way, indeed it is your time and money - Just as it the time and money that your GM spent to put on that game/event . However, unlike you, that GM is being judged on the total number of actual players. It doesn't matter if you return the ticket or not ,if it is not handed to the GM it doesn't exist (in the eyes of Gen Con anyway ). Those no-shows have a direct effect of the GM's ability to put on games/events the following year(s).
Just as a theoretical exercise : What would your reaction be if you got a ticket to an event and when/if you showed up the GM/EO said "sorry ,I gave your seat to a walk-up player I knew would be here "  ?

That's a stupid example because he's not gonna know I wouldn't be there until the time starts and I'm not there.  If at that point they give the seat away good for them, I'm glad.  

There's no sarcasm or obtuseness at all in my post.  Nothing should be done.  What are you gonna do? Ban them from gencon?  Ban them from participating in events? If I have an 8 am event and stay up too late gaming the night before and feel like sleeping in does that make me a bad guy? What about when you misjudge the time it takes to get some food from the food court and walk to your event, only to miss it by 20 mins? They get punished?  Yeah right.  The people running the games should have contingencies in place for players missing.  It's as simple as that.  

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Just curious, what would you suggest? Making a friend stop by 'Just in case' players don't show up? Buying generics so it looks like people showed up? 

We aren't talking adjusting the adventure here. We're talking trying to explain to Derek why your event doesn't have the number of tickets turned in to justify a badge reimbursement for the next year.

The cool thing with electronic tickets is that there WILL hopefully be a way to identify those who habitually blow off events. 

Not sure what then but that is a discussion for another thread.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

Not stupid at all - the GM's(actually the EO) get your name (and info )  when you sign up for events - easy as pie to keep track of those that no -show and take notes and pass them along to other gm's. 

The GM can just assume you will not turn up if you have shown a history of such. Gm's chat and give each other lists , It's as simple as that

No banning from  GenCon needed(that is definitely overkill)- merely curtailing "your " ability to pre-purchase tickets until the Wednesday of GenCon should be enough .

To use your example - a bad guy ,NO . Inconsiderate  Yes -to both the GM and other players .But realistically based on your statements you don't seem to care about anyone but yourself .

You really don't understand how  events work or the effort that GM's put into them ,do you ? or even the effort that most responsible attendees put forth .

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 cman811

cman811 wrote:
grtbrt wrote:

That's a stupid example because he's not gonna know I wouldn't be there until the time starts and I'm not there.  If at that point they give the seat away good for them, I'm glad.  There's no sarcasm or obtuseness at all in my post.  Nothing should be done.  What are you gonna do? Ban them from gencon?  Ban them from participating in events? If I have an 8 am event and stay up too late gaming the night before and feel like sleeping in does that make me a bad guy? What about when you misjudge the time it takes to get some food from the food court and walk to your event, only to miss it by 20 mins? They get punished?  Yeah right.  The people running the games should have contingencies in place for players missing.  It's as simple as that.  

I agree that little can/should be done (for some of the reasons you suggest).  But, your cavalier attitude ("It's my time and my money, I can spend it and not show to an event how I like.") suggests you don't care at all about what experience you are leaving for other players (whose event may now fall through because of you, or who couldn't get into it in the first place because of you).

Stuff happens.  But, at least pretend to care about what impact your actions have on others.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent k_dog64

k_dog64 wrote:
I will admit I didn't take the time to open a calendar to check which day of the week the 6th was.  I've been busy enough at work to lose track which day of the week it actually is.
Maybe my tone came across in a confusing way, but I was honestly curious why the end time was earlier.  I wasn't wanting it to be later.  As is I don't even stay all the way to 4 PM on Sunday anyway.  I work in downtown Indianapolis, on the 19th floor of the BMO building.  I always like to check out the area around the convention center for banners in the last few weeks leading up to GenCon. 

I especially love going there on Tuesday just before GenCon.  At that point, people are starting to set up for the convention.  I usually see people applying the stickers to the staircases and hanging banners.  I can also get a peek inside the dealer hall.  I can't make out much except several pallets of various things and a few scissor lifts to hang up those banners.  I also see a couple early-bird convention attendees here and there.  There's a certain energy to the air that the incipient gathering brings.  It's very exciting to be around.

I never did get around to seeing the convention the Monday after GenCon though.  Last year will likely be my last chance, as I have tentative plans to move out of the Indianapolis area at the end of 2019.

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811 matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
cman811 wrote:
grtbrt wrote:

That's a stupid example because he's not gonna know I wouldn't be there until the time starts and I'm not there.  If at that point they give the seat away good for them, I'm glad.  There's no sarcasm or obtuseness at all in my post.  Nothing should be done.  What are you gonna do? Ban them from gencon?  Ban them from participating in events? If I have an 8 am event and stay up too late gaming the night before and feel like sleeping in does that make me a bad guy? What about when you misjudge the time it takes to get some food from the food court and walk to your event, only to miss it by 20 mins? They get punished?  Yeah right.  The people running the games should have contingencies in place for players missing.  It's as simple as that.  
I agree that little can/should be done (for some of the reasons you suggest).  But, your cavalier attitude ("It's my time and my money, I can spend it and not show to an event how I like.") suggests you don't care at all about what experience you are leaving for other players (whose event may now fall through because of you, or who couldn't get into it in the first place because of you).
Stuff happens.  But, at least pretend to care about what impact your actions have on others.
I care about the experience I have with other players when I am at that event. If I'm not, you're correct I do not care. As I said before it should be up to the game to have systems in place for that possibility. If a game is SOOOO fun with 6 people yet somehow with 5 it sucks, that's the games fault, not mystery 6th person.  

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded cman811

cman811 wrote: As I said before it should be up to the game to have systems in place for that possibility. 

I will agree with you on this point, at least.  I do understand that some games (certain board games, LARPs, etc...), simply cannot work without a certain minimum number of players, but as a person who has run games of various types for the last 10 plus years at Gen Con, a GM has to be ready to run with the absolute minimum  number of players or the maximum listed in your event description.  I've run games listed for 6 or 8 maximum players for just one person a time or two. 

The thing is, as a GM, you have to be ready to be flexible with things, especially at such a big convention.  That's the difference I've seen between the bigger and smaller cons, the need to be more flexible as a person running a game.  Generally at smaller conventions, I get the players who signed up since there's less Big Shiny things to pull them in another direction, where at Gen Con and other big events, player no-shows are 'part of the game'.  (I really, actually, for real didn't intend a pun there.)

Normal
Small
Posted by jedijawa74

I don't usually stick around for Sunday, but this year I did.  We didn't schedule anything because we wanted to be flexible and I was taking my nephew around who didn't make it to the Con until late on Friday (so he missed our Thursday vendor hall crawl).  I generally don't encourage anyone to attend a Con without scheduling at least one thing because it is difficult to jump in on a game when you don't know people and you don't have a plan.

We hit the ICC around 11:15am and the vendor hall around 11:30am.  We did a demo of VR catan; we played a full game of Werewords Deluxe; we played a full game of Azul with the Spiel des Jahres guys; we played a full game of Dude; we did a demo of Pantone; and we did a demo of IceCool 2.  Additionally, we shopped at CSI and each bought something; we shopped at the entrepreneur's alley and each bought something; we watched some demos at the Iello booth; we looked around at Fantasy Flight; we stopped by the Queen Games booth and talked to some friends; and we stopped at Customer Service to return unused generic tickets before leaving the ICC at 2pm to head home.

We had 4 day badges, but if we had only purchased Sunday badges I felt like we had a good deal of entertainment.

Normal
Small
Posted by ascantla

We had a good year this year. Oddly most of the games we played were ones that were not out yet. Some were between Kickstarter end and release, some were still in Kickstarter. We didn't plan it that way and i found it very weird. I think my group liked all but one game. 

The only bad we had this year (and it happens every year) is getting into a "Learn to play" game and the people putting on the game want to try and have one person for 3 or more tables, and we're not talking little games. 
We did have one game where the three of us showed up early and so did the 4th rando, so we got to start early and get our explanations and questions out of the way, then finding out the same game was being taught to 2 other tables by the same person. we still had a couple other questions, but was handled well. 

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal cman811

cman811 wrote:I care about the experience I have with other players when I am at that event. If I'm not, you're correct I do not care. As I said before it should be up to the game to have systems in place for that possibility. If a game is SOOOO fun with 6 people yet somehow with 5 it sucks, that's the games fault, not mystery 6th person.  

To ME, a lot of the issues with no-shows, are not just 1 or 2 players out of say 6-8 tickets.  But it's when you have 5 out of 6 tickets sold, and only 1 shows up.  This is most often on Sun morning, and rarely occasionally the first game of Thursday (say 8am)..  If 5 of 6 players are no-shows, that generally means the event CAN'T run.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 3
1 3