1. Will Call....not even touching this one because everyone including the local news covered this issue.
2. "Special Services" - If you have a disability GenCon is NOT for you. I seen people in walkers, canes, and crutches being made to stand in line for an armband that lets them.... wait for it...not stand in line! We had to do this everyday.
3. Gaming - Dice Tower Con has less than 3000 attendees and its library and opening gaming area is larger than what GenCon had sectioned off in Lucas Oil.
4. TICKETS!!! I realize that you people(long term attendees) might be OK with this practice, but the rest of the Con world thinks it is crazy to have a $110 ticket then spend easily that much more on event tickets! Back to the gaming library, to use the library 24/7 alone would be $80 extra!
5. Hotels - Indy just simply does not have the hotel rooms nor parking to handle 60,000+ people. Quite a few official hotels are 15-20 miles away and still cost $135-$170 a night.
6. Rude - I watched people run into and over my 15 year old all con and not a one stopped and said sorry or even acknowledge they had just bumped into a kid. I go to Dragon Con every year and never really have this issue.
7. Saftey - I wont touch specific events here, again see youtube, news, or even this forums for those. I will say this: I seen maybe 4 cops inside the con the whole time. Dragon Con has 4 cops on one set of escalators in the Marriott. If something required security it would involve a lot of running by unarmed(batons only) guards and cops from outside the event. On paper I am sure it makes sense to have a room staffed with Cops waiting(I assume this exist) but in reality they would be swimming upstream and delayed if a response was needed.
8. Staff - The staff seemed to know only their job and had NO information about the rest of the con. Every time I asked a question it was "let me check with someone" usually that someone had a queue of at least 3 staff already waiting to ask questions. The only booth that I seen run smoothly was the lost and found, and I would like to say those people have that down to a science.
Im tired of writing so I will stop here, but if I were GenCon Administrators I would look to Dragon Con for a lot of ideas and procedures to help with these issues. As for me personally I will not be back unless I get a connected hotel and even then I really think DiceTower, Origins, or BGG Con might be money better spent.
-Not a Troll just a long time con goer whose first GenCon was disappointing.