What Will You Do Differently Next Year?
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

There were all kinds of issues with the electronic tickets on Trade Day, not the least of which was because they changed the schedule for Trade Day completely, and people were attending seminars for which they did not have tickets. They pretty much just scanned everyone in the room 5 minutes after a seminar started and didn't care if it gave them a thumbs up or down. The attendants admitted that it wasn't working correctly and they were just trying to get data samples. None of that gave me any confidence in the system.

But then at True Dungeon it worked perfectly, both with purchased and transferred tickets. So my guess is that they worked out some glitches on Trade Day, and realized why Trade Day wasn't a good first test. ;)

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal grtbrt

braewe wrote:
We had a player removed from our D&D adventure League game because she did not have her badge. And they checked the Catalyst area at least once when I was GM'ing.
That said, they do not check as often as they should, and frankly, as a GM, even though i am SUPPOSED to check, I just make sure they have the correct year's tickets or generics(yes, people try to use other years).
I suspect this is why the electronic tickets are being tested. Frankly, I hope they worked out.

I've had that happen myself before, someone with prior year's generics, trying to use them in the current year..  Though i've not seen as much badge checking by DM's as some others may have..
grtbrt wrote:as a GM I see if the person has  a badge on - I do not check to see if it is indeed them .

That's something i did catch a father and his 3 sons before doing wrong..  Dad was wearing his youngest son's badge, while the son was wearing dad's...  Simple enough correction.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam braewe

braewe wrote:
We had a player removed from our D&D adventure League game because she did not have her badge. And they checked the Catalyst area at least once when I was GM'ing.
That said, they do not check as often as they should, and frankly, as a GM, even though i am SUPPOSED to check, I just make sure they have the correct year's tickets or generics(yes, people try to use other years).
I suspect this is why the electronic tickets are being tested. Frankly, I hope they worked out.
no one checked badges in our area. Of course, one was checked entering the board gaming hall itself.

As the restrooms were dirty in that area for most of the con, I’d say we need less badge checking and more janitorial checking. YMMV.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

maybe badge checking during the janitorial checking ????
Though the security guard at the single person bathroom near us in LOS  was checking badges to use the bathroom -to make sure they were GM badges.

Wow -using last years tickets ? I have never looked at the date of them -  Most of our events have very specific titles ,but generics I guess could be used year after year .

if someone uses them I do tip my hat to them - keeping track a small piece of paper worth $2 for a year or more is much more than I can do -lol 

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

As the restrooms were dirty in that area for most of the con, I’d say we need less badge checking and more janitorial checking. 

You do realize that these jobs are mutually exclusive, and handled by different staffs?

My suggestion for the restrooms would be to cycle through all the restrooms in & out of the vendor hall, shutting them down for 10-15 minutes while doing a quick clean & mop, moving on to the next one, until they've cycled back to the beginning.  There are enough restrooms that having one shut down for a short time is not a significant inconvenience.

As far as LOS, the one bathroom I used by the main entrance, was a lot cleaner than I would have expected.  Now, I've never been there on game day, so I don't know how they handle it with 60k people, but they seemed able to handle the GC traffic with no issue.

Also, very strange for a public restroom were faucets that did not have auto-shutoff.  I kept having to go back & turn off the sinks because I'm just so used to public restrooms where the water runs for 10 seconds at a time. :-)

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

Yeah, badges are needed.  We even got checked for a badge in open gaming on the 2nd floor of the Marriott.  This was not in a room that runs events at all.  Seems like this is a thing you should expect more of.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

What I'd like to do differently is come earlier.  We've been coming Wednesday and leaving Monday.  There are so many obligations at home, it's fun to have extra time, even if it is just to do more after-hours gaming with people I already know.  Also, travel day is fairly rough.  Starting the Con a little better rested wouldn't be a bad thing.

To do next year:
Adventurer's League
Escape Room
maybe True Dungeon, had fun this year after not having done it for many years
Werewolf

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

Next year I'm going to pack before wednesday so I can get to Indy earlier.  I told myself I could just pack Wednesday morning like I used to do, but now that I'm transporting all the Nascrag Stuff, it took me a long time

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

Being the first time, I didn't plan a single thing. Wasn't that interested in playing in the games events, but maybe next year I may. Definitely plan better as now I know where to go and what to do.

Normal
Small
Posted by peterpan03

[This post has been removed]

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex

This thread seems like a good candidate for resurrection, since I did not get the chance to laugh at Cline's decision for he and all his friends to come to the convention without a badge and play games with black market tickets.  Good luck with that.  You might not think anyone was checking badges, but oh, just try not having one for a while and see how it goes.  They literally kicked our gamemaster out of a late-night session because he had left his badge in his hotel room and did not feel like going to get it.

He never did come back, either.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 3
1 3