What Will You Do Differently Next Year?
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

For me it will be get to Gen Con earlier.  This year my group and I arrived Thursday evening.  I'm glad we went and had a great time, but not arriving Wednesday wasn't the best.

I also plan on playing more D&D Adventurers League events next year.  Those are always a lot of fun and I only got to play in one this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

No games.  Those are a complete crapshoot.  The one game I tried to play was a Ghostbusters board game that nobody at the table knew how to play.  After 45 minutes we still had not started playing.  I didn't have the patience so I left.

I'll spend more money on events I think.  More electronic gaming.

Normal
Small
Posted by xone0101

I feel like I did great especially for my first Gen Con. The only thing I'll do differently in the future is try to schedule more open time on Thursday to get some time in the vendor hall when it's not so chaotic. Also, we stayed in Westfield because we had a free place to stay there, but I think it would be worth it for us to get a hotel next year as long as it's in walking distance.

Normal
Small
Posted by kc2dpt

FWIW, Thu was as crowded as most every other day. Only Sunday was less crowded.  

It used to be only Saturday was insane. In fact, we used to keep scheduled activities reserved for Sat just to avoid the dealers room. But these last couple years it’s been packed every day.

I’m guessing it’s related to 4-day badges selling out. 

Also, to any con staff reading this, while the dealers room WAS packed every day, it never got as bad as the worst days I’ve experienced in past years. I feel overall the con was as packed as it could be without becoming oppressive. 

Normal
Small
Posted by nikas zekeval

Definitely having my stuff mailed next time.  If you don't get a downtown room, you pay nearly as much just to park to pick things up, if you are lucky.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

Maybe schedule a bit more sleep time...? 

Generally, I feel like this GenCon went really well and there is very little I would change, other than the sleep thing. The rest of the 'bad' stuff was the kind of thing that just happens and is difficult to avoid.

Normal
Small
Posted by dranthor

I think for me it would be to be more rested so I can go without more sleep while at gencon.  That was my biggest problem. I guess making more time for the vender hall would be good but  not sure if I would end up spending more time there. I found the isles very crowded.

Normal
Small
Posted by dorfsrule

I am going to come Tuesday night and stay Sunday night. Saturday rolled around and we felt like we really needed one more day. There is just too much happening on Sunday for us to leave early. I would like to see some Trade Day stuff next year.

Normal
Small
Posted by raptorov

We might stay later. We stayed until Monday, so as to fully check out the dealer hall in Sunday, and then to just relax. But we went to the zoo Monday this year and thought  to maybe stay until Tuesday so as to hit The museums and relax a bit after.  Indianapolis is really a very cool city!

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb dorfsrule

dorfsrule wrote:
I am going to come Tuesday night and stay Sunday night. Saturday rolled around and we felt like we really needed one more day. There is just too much happening on Sunday for us to leave early. I would like to see some Trade Day stuff next year.

We do this every year and would never change it. It's nice to arrive before the frenzy and have a chance to relax on Sunday, as well as enjoy every last minute of con!

Normal
Small

Next year I might splurge and park in the lot at the mall.  Since I work in downtown Indianapolis, I have a space in a garage at the corner of New Jersey and Market Streets.  I pay $105 a month for it, which thankfully comes out of pre-tax dollars thanks to a benefit I have through work.  This year and last year, I parked there.  Problem is that this lot is about a mile away from the convention center.  It can be tiring to walk all that distance after a long day at the convention.

So I may put some extra money in my parking fund and just grab a spot at the mall for the 4 days of the convention next year.

Normal
Small
Posted by kellishaver

No cosplay when roaming the crowded vendor hall. It just gets too hot. Also, I'll schedule events further in advance. There were a few that sold out before I could sign up for them that would have been fun. I did manage to still get tickets for a couple that we really wanted, though, so that was nice. 

Normal
Small
Posted by dragonheart

No more EARLY games and will not schedule so many.  Would like to demo more games in dealers hall.  Family seemed to really enjoy it.

Normal
Small
Posted by dragonheart dorfsrule

dorfsrule wrote:

Family and I stay Monday to Monday.  Have done that last 4 years, and works out well for us.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal nikas zekeval

nikas zekeval wrote:
Definitely having my stuff mailed next time.  If you don't get a downtown room, you pay nearly as much just to park to pick things up, if you are lucky.

How so?  Most downtown garages are 24 or so a day. where as most out of central area hotels are barely 100 a day, comapred to 180 or MORE a day for downtown hotels..  So even with the drive in and parking, that's roughly 130 a day, compared to 180+...

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce garhkal

garhkal wrote:
nikas zekeval wrote:

How so?  Most downtown garages are 24 or so a day. where as most out of central area hotels are barely 100 a day, comapred to 180 or MORE a day for downtown hotels..  So even with the drive in and parking, that's roughly 130 a day, compared to 180+...
I think the cost reference is assuming staying out of downtown.  Driving from periphery hotel Wednesday to pick up badge when will call line is 2-3 hours means around $10 in Wednesday parking charges you wouldn't have otherwise had. In that case, will call isn't actually any cheaper than shipping for the badge (unless you wait until Thursday morning, and endure an even longer line).

If you're in a downtown hotel you're already paying for parking Wednesday night if you're there, so will call is actually $10 cheaper than shipping, but still more expensive than the periphery.

Normal
Small
Posted by darkeldar

Next year, only attending Saturday.

Normal
Small
Posted by darkeldar

Oh yeah, only attending Saturday, because I need to save my vacation time, as I'm travelling overseas for a game company's annual event, in their home city. First time travelling to Europe, so going to make a trip of it.

Normal
Small

I already submitted the change to my monthly parking paycheck withholding.  4 days at $22 a day is $88.  Spread that over 11 months it's just an extra 8 bucks a month out of pre-tax earnings.

Also since I'm splurging I might just spend the 10 bucks on shipping next year.  I figure that by not spending on lodging alone I'm already $600 to $800 ahead of most attendees.  What's another $10?

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
Next year I might splurge and park in the lot at the mall.  Since I work in downtown Indianapolis, I have a space in a garage at the corner of New Jersey and Market Streets.  I pay $105 a month for it, which thankfully comes out of pre-tax dollars thanks to a benefit I have through work.  This year and last year, I parked there.  Problem is that this lot is about a mile away from the convention center.  It can be tiring to walk all that distance after a long day at the convention.
So I may put some extra money in my parking fund and just grab a spot at the mall for the 4 days of the convention next year.
You could also taxi back to the garage? We did that one year when it was just TOO hot and humid to walk. Totally worth, in my opinion--and cheaper than the mall parking lot even if you did it both ways.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3
1 3