Last year for Contessa ( Locked)
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb
#1

Contessa has announced that they won't be returning to Gencon for at least 5 years.  If you are not familiar with Contessa, they are an intersectional organization that uses the power of positive representation to get more marginalized people into tabletop gaming leadership.

I think they also provide a safe place, in a world that can be terribly intolerant.  

The founder made this statement on twitter: "We spend a crazy amount of money to go there every year, and I spend Dec - July almost exclusively working on that presence. I can't anymore."

I believe that Contessa is needed more than ever at the worlds longest running gaming convention. Please consider donating to them, and reaching out.    

http://www.contessa.rocks/

 

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb
#2

There are new issues that have been brought to my attention.  GMs groped and harassed.  People feeling unsafe and unprotected.  A feeling that Gencon does not do enough to protect.   I'm embarrassed for my state, the hobby, and humanity over all.  

Normal
Small
Posted by tempestuousseas
#3

I second this. I never got a chance to play any of their games, but I heard that they were well done and very positively reviewed.

You would think that the convention might take complaints of that nature more seriously given that the demographics most affected by these incidents represent a not-inconsequential portion of their attendees.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1
#4

What complaints?  I played in one of their games last year (had fun) and was over by their section quite a bit this year and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.   

I always got the impression that Gen Con does a great job handling any issues that come up.  

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb
#5

Go check out the public conversation that I had with Contessa on twitter this morning.  They no longer feel safe, or that Gencon actually acts on harassment complaints. 

https://twitter.com/r_o_double_b/status/1026461478189191169

 

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1
#6

Just read the twitter.  I don't think the Con (or any Con) will or should be able to decide not to let someone in because they are  "alt-left-right-anything."  Sorry to hear that your group will be moving on to other Con's.

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb
#7

My group has made no official decisions yet.  I think it's more about reporting groping/stalking with no official  recourse, or the fact that such things occurred in the first place.    Contessa event area is not the problem.  It's everywhere else.  

Normal
Small
Posted by wolnir
#8

Well, that is unfortunate. I was going to take my wife to their Learn to Play Warhammer event but they were full.

I checked out the rest of their event list on their site and I was planning to attend some of their stuff next year.

Really unfortunate people can't play nice and keep their hands to themselves.

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord
#9

I read the online thing, and it really REALLY bothers me that they take issue with people they disagree with being allowed to attend.  The issues with groping, and those feelings are understandable. 

But if their position stays that they don't feel safe until GenCon refuses to admit people with wrongthink I say an unfortunate good riddance.

Normal
Small
Posted by tempestuousseas
#10

I disagree. I feel very strongly that if you've been known to antagonize other people in a public forum, then you are open to the consequences of that antagonism. One of those consequences should absolutely be a serious thought to whether you should be allowed to join in at a large event with a wide demographic, some of whom are folks you've been known to antagonize.

GenCon should be safe. There's a "right to free speech" and then there's allowing assholes a public forum to be assholes with no consequence.

Normal
Small
Posted by gamingforever
#11

I’m confused.  Why are they leaving?

Is it because of being too expensive and needing more donations (founder twitter)?

Is it because of GenCon allegedly ignoring alleged groping and stalking crimes (Contessa twitter)?

Is it because Gencon allowed a particular person into the convention, who is allegedly a “known alt-right antagonist” (Contessa twitter)?

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb
#12

Initially it was time and money (stated before the con). My initial goal was to get them to change their minds.   The other issues that came up pretty much galvanized the fact that their minds are not going to be changed, and that their limited time and money are better spent elsewhere.  

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1
#13

 

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1 tempestuousseas
#14

tempestuousseas wrote:
I disagree. I feel very strongly that if you've been known to antagonize other people in a public forum, then you are open to the consequences of that antagonism. One of those consequences should absolutely be a serious thought to whether you should be allowed to join in at a large event with a wide demographic, some of whom are folks you've been known to antagonize.
GenCon should be safe. There's a "right to free speech" and then there's allowing assholes a public forum to be assholes with no consequence.
If Gen Con believes someone needs to not be allowed in to the convention then they will make that decision.  You, or any of us, shouldn't be allowed to make that decision.  Calling someone names isn't going to help matters.

Again, I hadn't heard anything about the (stalking, groping) issues that were mentioned.  My feeling here is that Gen Con handles things they can.  If issues happen outside the ICC I don't know what the policies are, maybe get the police involved?  Everyone needs to be realistic about what an event organizer is able/capable to do in response to issues.  

If it's time and lack of adequate funds that will cause your, or any group, to look elsewhere that is understandable.

Normal
Small
Posted by gamingforever rodoubleb
#15

rodoubleb wrote:
Initially it was time and money (stated before the con). My initial goal was to get them to change their minds...
Thanks.

I’m very curious to hear GenCon’s official response on the groping allegation.  Was no evidence found (or accusation deemed not credible) thus case dropped, was the alleged groper not identifiable, and what actions did GenCon do as a result of their investigation?  Or was it handed over to the police?

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks gamingforever
#16

gamingforever wrote:
rodoubleb wrote:
Initially it was time and money (stated before the con). My initial goal was to get them to change their minds...
Thanks.I’m very curious to hear GenCon’s official response on the groping allegation.  Was no evidence found (or accusation deemed not credible) thus case dropped, was the alleged groper not identifiable, and what actions did GenCon do as a result of their investigation?  Or was it handed over to the police?

This is from a different thread and doesn't address the specifics of their response, but you get the idea.
I find it hard to believe that you know what Gen Cons response was to any confirmed harassment. We take harassment very seriously. 

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by gamingforever
#17

Based on Twitter, the decision to leave was made before GenCon, so it was about money and not any alleged incidents.

More cheaper local cons versus one expensive con.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1 gamingforever
#18

gamingforever wrote:
Based on Twitter, the decision to leave was made before GenCon, so it was about money and not any alleged incidents.
More cheaper local cons versus one expensive con.
Then why in the world did the original poster make it seem like it had to do with groping and stalking (two very serious issues)?  Drama?  Drop a bomb on the way out the door?  Saying that they were embarrassed for the state, the hobby and humanity?  Another later poster says that Gen Con should (I'm paraphrasing here) possibly not let someone in because they don't agree with their behavior in a public forum? Geez...you could have just said it's about the cost.

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb
#19

Again, as stated above, they originally said that it was about time and money.  I was hoping that I (we) could change their minds.  Further details were revealed that galvanized their position. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb
#20

Here is a direct link to that public conversation on Monday Aug. 6

https://twitter.com/r_o_double_b/status/1026461478189191169
 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3