Do you visit Lucas Oil Stadium?
Normal
Small
Posted by kc2dpt

Last two years the manga library was at the stadium. This year it’s back at the Westin.

The museum exhibit last year was cool. Glad I checked it out.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Also, Lucas Oil was shockingly quiet last year! It's because of the huge size and open air feel. So good place to play.

I remember it differently; we did an event there and the noise at field level was pretty bad.  It was sometimes hard to hear people on the other side of the table.

I do hope there are people at the field. I’m running 2 events there which are pretty much empty at the moment. I hope I can snag some foot traffic to get them to sit in.

Normal
Small
Posted by jbship628

It's also where they host the NFL Draft Combine.  They should have some drills set up, or let me see what my 40 time is! 

Or create the Gamer Combine.  Instead of a 40 yard dash, see how quickly you can roll dice to 40 using a single d6!  Some kind of game box shelf stacking, that kind of stuff. 

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

Come on over to Lucas oil and check out Nascrag and the Games Library.  LOS is so much better for gaming than the regular halls.  You can actually hear yourself over the din.  Honestly, a few years ago I was thinking of quitting GenCon because of the noise level.  When you actually want to roleplay, you need to be heard.

Normal
Small

Well, I must have remembered wrong, because it was fairly quiet at LOS on the field.  Problem was,there was no “walk-by” traffic. I hosted an event in the Purple area, and the only people there were people who had events to attend. So much for getting some people with generics to drop by.  Very different than the event I was at in Hall C; lots of walk-bys and a few drop ins at the events around us.

Normal
Small
Posted by patellis15

I did two events, and the library.  All good, I still laugh at the Colt's participation banners.

that said, GeCon/ICC need to do something to make restrooms available on the other side of the field.  Way to far to go for a mid game bathroom break.

Pat E

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21 patellis15

patellis15 wrote:
I did two events, and the library.  All good, I still laugh at the Colt's participation banners.
that said, GeCon/ICC need to do something to make restrooms available on the other side of the field.  Way to far to go for a mid game bathroom break.
Pat E

I couldn't agree more regarding the restrooms.  I had one event in Lucas Oil this year and it was on the far end of the field furthest from the restrooms.  It was a ridiculously long walk to get to them.  PLEASE add port-a-toilets next year if you plan to keep gaming on the field.  Also, I made the long walk across field and up the stands to reach the concession area in order to purchase water.  I was told it was stadium policy not to allow the caps on the bottles.  It was no fun at all trying to carry three water bottles all the way back with them all being open.  I can understand this policy during a football game, but it seems that they could do away with it during GenCon.

Lastly, since the Exhibit Hall has limited hours and is only open during the day, would it be possible to move the Exhibitors to Lucas Oil and reclaim the convention hall space for gaming?  Anyone wanting to do the Exhibit Hall would surely walk to Lucas Oil.  Just a thought.

Normal
Small

Lastly, since the Exhibit Hall has limited hours and is only open during the day, would it be possible to move the Exhibitors to Lucas Oil and reclaim the convention hall space for gaming?  Anyone wanting to do the Exhibit Hall would surely walk to Lucas Oil.  Just a thought.

The exhibit hall is several times the size of the field at LOS, there's no way even a fraction of it could fit there.  Even if it could fit, with TD going on late into the night, they'd have to provide an army of security to ensure no one stole merchandise from the vendor booths.  Bad idea on multiple fronts.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

Regarding water, last year I recall seeing water stations on the field (at the edges) but not this year. Could that be brought back for next year? 

Normal
Small
Posted by roganca

Water stations are Con Crud dispersement devices. Way better to just carry a bottled water or two in your pack.

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21 buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:

The exhibit hall is several times the size of the field at LOS, there's no way even a fraction of it could fit there.  Even if it could fit, with TD going on late into the night, they'd have to provide an army of security to ensure no one stole merchandise from the vendor booths.  Bad idea on multiple fronts.

You are exactly correct regarding the size difference.  I just found this map (http://www.icclos.com/pdf/floor_plans.pdf) showing the square footage of the Indianapolis Convention Center and Lucas Oil.  The space the exhibit hall is taking in the ICC is about 333,000 sq. ft. whereas the field at Lucas Oil is only 134,000 sq. ft.  So that idea was a bad one on my part!

I still hope they address the restroom and concession problem that gaming on the filed at Lucas Oil creates regarding the distance to reach them and their policy of not allowing caps on the water bottles.  I will say, the one plus we experienced at Lucas Oil was that it is much quieter than the ICC for gaming.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

We did one event this year in Lucas Oil and the sound quality was much better - it just didn't seem so noisy.   

Normal
Small
Posted by pinheadjo

Had one event there this year. Had two tickets for the Monster Mash event on. Arrived not quite 3 minutes late (farther than I thought from the convention center)...our two spots had already been filled. 

Normal
Small
Posted by bobvilla helenbb

helenbb wrote:
Regarding water, last year I recall seeing water stations on the field (at the edges) but not this year. Could that be brought back for next year? 
They had a couple of water stations near the conference rooms/anime library a friend of mine used them.

Normal
Small
Posted by bobvilla

I did two events in Lucas Oil Stadium and had no problem hearing. The place was only about half full but I did do those events on Thursday so maybe that was the reason.

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

I mostly lived at LOS this year -- they moved the TGA there (Train Gamer's Association) and Nascrag was there again this year - I basically only left to go eat! and to go play in the Rio Grande room... I barely saw the exhibit hall this year! :)

--Lady I

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

It was great to finally meet you, Lady Imm!

New Post Sign in to write a new post.