Gencon on Tuesday
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

How much actually goes on on Tuesday? Obviously it’s all unofficial but is there enough pickup stuff going on to warrent coming in Tuesday instead of Wednesday? 

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

It's always slim on Tuesdays, depending on time. Wednesday is always bustling.

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr

Not a ton going on although you will see some games in hotel lobbies already. Arriving on Tuesday does let you get started with the fun on Wednesday early without worrying about getting checked in and everything.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

Ok thx.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

To expand on what I wrote, in general, I get GenCon "Fatigue" by Saturday night, usually check in on Wednesday, so my feelings on Tuesday are different.

I can't imagine coming on Tuesdays and starting then, especially since there is not much going on. 

Some people come Monday and that's just overkill to me. I think they spend that day doing other stuff downtown though, but, I can't imagine being in Indianapolis for 6 or 7 days straight, 4 of them just gaming. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

I don't think anything official happens on Tuesday.  I stopped by the convention center out of curiosity on Tuesday before the convention last year.  I work downtown so it's a couple blocks away from the office.  They were setting things up.  I could see things getting partially set up in the exhibit hall, and a lot of the signage was up, along with things like those wraps they put on the steps.  I mean, you can see what the pre-Gencon center looks like, but that's not worth the cost of an extra night's hotel stay.

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle

Tuesday, at least for us, is the calm before the storm. We do our 5-ish hour drive, get to our hotel, get our room and get settled. Then we mosey around a bit and find somewhere to eat dinner. More leisurely moseying back to the hotel and maybe a dip in the pool or hot tub. Then, some light gaming in the room and snacks/dessert. 

We added Tuesday to our trip last year, as we ran some games at Scotty's all day Wednesday, and wanted to be settled and fresh for the day. It worked out great, and we'll be doing it this way from now on.

We also stay through Monday so we can leave after the giant sucking noise of everyone fleeing the con for home is mostly done. Traffic is better, we're well-rested and can choose to be a little more leisurely again before getting the vehicle loaded and heading out for home.

Normal
Small
Posted by roganca divachelle

divachelle wrote:
Tuesday, at least for us, is the calm before the storm. We do our 5-ish hour drive, get to our hotel, get our room and get settled. Then we mosey around a bit and find somewhere to eat dinner. More leisurely moseying back to the hotel and maybe a dip in the pool or hot tub. Then, some light gaming in the room and snacks/dessert. 
We added Tuesday to our trip last year, as we ran some games at Scotty's all day Wednesday, and wanted to be settled and fresh for the day. It worked out great, and we'll be doing it this way from now on.
We also stay through Monday so we can leave after the giant sucking noise of everyone fleeing the con for home is mostly done. Traffic is better, we're well-rested and can choose to be a little more leisurely again before getting the vehicle loaded and heading out for home.
This is not just doing Gen Con right, it's doing life right.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon divachelle

divachelle wrote:

Understandable. Personally I go to game my brains out for 5-6 days :) So I would only want to go if I could find some pick up groups doing games of some kind. Oh and to spend way too much money in the dealer hall.

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle roganca

roganca wrote:
divachelle wrote:
This is not just doing Gen Con right, it's doing life right.
Aww, that's very kind of you. I guess being in our forties and knowing something about quality of life has its perks, at least on occasion.

That said, GenCon is exhausting. We choose to minimize stressors and embrace our downtime as it comes, with a little help from pre-planning. If I am a cranky, overtired, whackadoodle you-know-what, NOBODY is going to want to game with me, and I'm not going to be in a good frame of mind to enjoy myself either.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

We arrived last year on Tuesday and loved it.  We were at Home2 and there was gaming Tuesday night.  Met nice people in the lobby that we didn't see for the rest of the Con!  Wednesday we went to the Farmer's Market (which is great), got groceries for sandwiches (we pack lunch and snacks as it gives us more gaming time and we don't have to stress about lunch lines), did an Escape Room, and did more gaming in the hotel.  It was a great start to our Con.

Normal
Small
Posted by uriel-393

I always arrive on Tuesday, around 3PM.

I am coming from San Francisco, and I work nights (Bartender in a nightclub), with Monday being one of my best nights,actually, so...

Monday Work 9PM-3AM, rush home, shower, grab bags, friend drives me to airport for 5-6 am red-eye flight, arrive in Indy around 2:30-3:30 usually... I get to the hotel around 5 (Hopefully), shower, grab food (I highly suggest Eagle Tavern, or Pearl Street pizza), nap a few hours, then either play something light with friends, or try and get some actual sleep, so that by Wed, I am ready to nerd all day; There is a lot to do, as many folks have mentioned.

-Uriel

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Our group usually arrives on Tuesday as well. We get unpacked, get a bite to eat, do some last minute shopping if we need anything and then start the gaming early on Wednesday at The Ram or Union Street. 

I always see people gaming on Tuesday evenings at the downtown hotels, though.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Our group usually arrives on Tuesday as well. We get unpacked, get a bite to eat, do some last minute shopping if we need anything and then start the gaming early on Wednesday at The Ram or Union Street. 

Ok I might come in Tuesday then. My group won't be getting there till Wednesday and one of them Thursday, so find other people to game with would be the goal. 

Normal
Small
Posted by keithbradburn lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
rhone1 wrote:

Ok I might come in Tuesday then. My group won't be getting there till Wednesday and one of them Thursday, so find other people to game with would be the goal. 

There are several of the locals that will be around willing to game.  If you can get to one, you may try one of the game stores that have places to game.  I do my brick and mortar shopping at Family Time Games .  I know last year they even ran a shuttle for locals for a fee. 

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust divachelle

divachelle wrote:

Sounds a bit like how my GenCon trip last year shook out. Tuesday was an accidental addition (had to add that to get a good deal on a downtown room), but I found it relieved a ton of stress. Plus, it was nice to have time to just mess around in the Circle Center Mall's arcade.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

We do go down on Monday, for a few reasons. Mostly because, well, it's a vacation and SOME of it ought to be spent relaxing and destressing from work. So we get there around noon, check in(they usually have early checkin) and honestly, we just veg out in the hotel room for a couple hours. Nap, shower, get situated. Watch tv. Lame little things that just feel better because you're in a hotel room doing them. Weird, maybe, but we like it. Then dinner somewhere nice. Relaxed, no rush, no events to get to, just chitchat. We keep saying we're going to play games that night but somehow we don't. It's just literally talking and catching up, and sharing stories from the year.

Tuesday is a little more of the same but now we start talking con. Plans, doublechecking gaming materials, getting anything printed that was forgotten, checking character sheets, adventures all there(although I have still forgotten entire scenarios at times). Dinner is usually at either the Ram or Scotty's before the crowds hit. Wednesday was wednesday gaming, but...not sure if that's happening this year? If not, I'm sure we can make our own, since it's become such a tradition. Badge and ticket pickup, watch the ICC go from empty to con mode.

I always want to stay through Monday but lately vacations have to be sunday-sunday, which means back to work Monday. But it isn't the same trying to vacation that monday and tuesday befire the con at home as it is in a hotel. Worth the extra expense,

Normal
Small
Posted by ubermx father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
divachelle wrote:

Sounds a bit like how my GenCon trip last year shook out. Tuesday was an accidental addition (had to add that to get a good deal on a downtown room), but I found it relieved a ton of stress. Plus, it was nice to have time to just mess around in the Circle Center Mall's arcade.
father bloodlust wrote:
divachelle wrote:

There is an arcade??

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Hey, here is my schedule. It's kind of light.

I come in on Saturday and have dinner with some Indy friends and colleagues. I sleep 7 glorious hours.

Sunday I go to the ICC and make sure my shipments and set up is going well for Fulfillment, CS (Customer Service), Will Call, Event Registration, VIG's, Remote Reg., Button Program, Event Team HQ, and the like. 10 hours later I grab some dinner. Then I go back to check on things again. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I sleep 6 glorious hours.

Monday I (My staff) get fulfillment up and running. They print badges and tickets and sort them into Will Call. Will Call boxes are laid out and new envelopes are sorted into them. I go to a production meeting. I check to see how the tech side of all of these Monday places is going. Computers, printers, scanners, ticket stock, badge stock, celery stalks (Just checking to see if anyone is reading this). I go to dinner. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I sleep 5 glorious hours. 

Tuesday I check in on show emails and areas of concern in the morning, troubleshoot any areas of concern and take care of known issues. I go to a production meeting. I go to some receptions and mingle. I like mingling. There are some training's and a meeting with Senior Event Team members. I adjust schedules while making sure all of the Temp workers have the right credentials and assignments. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I might sleep 4 glorious hours. 

Wednesday I check in on the VIG lounge which opens. Will Call opens at Noon. I check the line and time it. I make sure the spice (I mean line) flows. I check all the areas that are open multiple times and troubleshoot. I go to a production meeting. I recheck everything. I grab some dinner. I go back and check in everywhere. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I might sleep 4 glorious hours. 

Thursday - Sunday I make sure the spice is flowing everywhere. All registrations and areas I'm responsible for are open. I make my way through all of them checking all day on their operations. I check on Temps, I check on Staff, I check on LOS, I check on emails. I go to a Production meeting. I go back to my room and cry for about 10 minutes. I get a hold of myself and address any issues that have cropped up. I try and hang out in several areas all at once and wrangle lines so that there are no lines. I grab some dinner somewhere. Someone asks me if I have time to play a game and I politely decline. I might sleep 2-4 glorious hours. 

Monday I fly home. I sleep 10 glorious hours.

That's my Con! Look me up for a game sometime I would love to play!

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr

Do I need to buy a ticket to get a celery stalk, or can I use generics?

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3