Small
Posted by sjhotz

Welcome Back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI

8P

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

The 2017 forums will stay up until the end of the month (to finish any conversations), then go away. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by loon

OOOOOHHHHH, YEEEEAAAAHHHH! 

*Kool-Aid Man*

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I am already sooooo looking forward to the next Gen Con!

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Ooo I like the purple dragon!

Normal
Small
Posted by srghayden

I have a question maybe more, I am wondering how much money you would suggest to set aside to get a badge and to book a hotel? My husband and I were thinking about going back in August 2017, but we just were not able to afford things when it came time to start getting things. I am hoping to be able to get the money together so we can come out August 2018. Thanks for your help. 

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

So nice to see the 2018 section... 

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager srghayden

srghayden wrote:
I have a question maybe more, I am wondering how much money you would suggest to set aside to get a badge and to book a hotel? My husband and I were thinking about going back in August 2017, but we just were not able to afford things when it came time to start getting things. I am hoping to be able to get the money together so we can come out August 2018. Thanks for your help. 

For Badges set aside around $100 per person. Downtown hotels are roughly $200 a night, some higher, some lower. Plus you have to pay to park downtown normally $20/30 a night. Out of town hotels are closer to $100 a night. Then consider 2-4 meals a day, depending how you eat. Always budget in spending money for the exhibit hall for games and gear.

We drove from MI to Indy, stayed downtown, and bought over 40 games, spent between $1500 and $2000 dollars.

Hope that helps.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Love the new look...

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle srghayden

srghayden wrote:
I'd say that you'd want to set aside $325 a night for a downtown hotel (including 17% room tax), tips and parking, on the high side. It's always better to have more than not enough. Badges run around $100 per, advance purchased.

Hotel Breakdown:
Hotel - $250.00
Tax - $42.50
Parking - $25.00
Total per night - $317.50

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz srghayden

srghayden wrote:

You can save a good deal of money on lodging if you book a hotel that isn't downtown.  The motel across the street from my apartment is 6 miles from the convention center and about $60 a night.  You'll have to pay for parking which is, I dunno, $10 a day at some lots.  I don't really remember.  Since I'm local and work downtown, I just parked in the lot I have a monthly pass for (granted this is a mile from the convention center, but I'm cheap).

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
srghayden wrote:

For Badges set aside around $100 per person. Downtown hotels are roughly $200 a night, some higher, some lower. Plus you have to pay to park downtown normally $20/30 a night. Out of town hotels are closer to $100 a night. Then consider 2-4 meals a day, depending how you eat. Always budget in spending money for the exhibit hall for games and gear.We drove from MI to Indy, stayed downtown, and bought over 40 games, spent between $1500 and $2000 dollars.
Hope that helps.

Parking isn't included with your hotel booking?  I thought that was the advantage to staying downtown.  If they're gonna soak you for parking, you might as well park in some long term parking lot near the airport and take a taxi downtown.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:Parking isn't included with your hotel booking?  I thought that was the advantage to staying downtown.  If they're gonna soak you for parking, you might as well park in some long term parking lot near the airport and take a taxi downtown.

Whether parking is included or not depends on the hotel.  In 2017 I believe all but two of the downtown hotels charged for parking - at least from the data I gathered from the hotel portals.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
srghayden wrote:

For Badges set aside around $100 per person. Downtown hotels are roughly $200 a night, some higher, some lower. Plus you have to pay to park downtown normally $20/30 a night. Out of town hotels are closer to $100 a night. Then consider 2-4 meals a day, depending how you eat. Always budget in spending money for the exhibit hall for games and gear.We drove from MI to Indy, stayed downtown, and bought over 40 games, spent between $1500 and $2000 dollars.
Hope that helps.

Parking isn't included with your hotel booking?  I thought that was the advantage to staying downtown.  If they're gonna soak you for parking, you might as well park in some long term parking lot near the airport and take a taxi downtown.

From what i have seen, very few if any hotels downtown, don't charge you extra for car parking on their lots.  And some are very expensive 30$ a day or more.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice srghayden

srghayden wrote:

In 2017, I think my wife and I spent right around $2500 all in (2 4-day badges, event registrations, hotel, travel from Minnesota via Prius, meals, alcohol).  We arrived Wednesday and departed Monday morning (so 5 nights hotel). We did not stay downtown and we did the Wednesday-Sunday Gate 10 Parking Pass.  That's probably within +/- 10%.

Of that $2500, probably about $300-$500 was in the dealer hall (games, dice, accessories, etc.)

Since it was her first Gen Con, I wasn't thinking "I need to keep down costs" (quite the opposite: "I need her to have a *great time* so she'll come back next year!" - Mission Accomplished!).

In the past, by bringing our own food and sharing a room with others, I've gone Wednesday - Monday for as little as $600 (including dealer hall). That was cramming a lot of people into a room outside of downtown, though. 

I've always had a great time.  Gen Con does not have to cost thousands of dollars to attend (if you are within driving distance).

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Low end: farther hotel. Cheaper events. Maybe even volunteer to earn your badge. Can be done if you drive and share the room for $400.

Middle. Farther hotel. Gate ten pass. Maybe one expensive event like true dungeon. $1000.

The real deal: downtown room from Wednesday to Monday, true dungeon, a couple premier events (I like the painting ones), able to get games and shirts and'stuff' in the dealer hall: $3000

Worth it? Just depends! I tend to really want the downtown room so I splurge there but volunteer for badge and part of that hotel room.

What really helps kid the ability to spread it all out. Kids badges in January, events I may, hotel paid in advance, just leaves food and dealer hall at the con.

Normal
Small
Posted by kaliena srghayden

srghayden wrote:
My budget was around 3k, including dog boarding and uber from and to airport to the downtown hotel we got in block. We ended up being $600 under budget, and that included buying several games and putting them in our check-in luggage home.  I think we spent a lot less on food than previous years by avoiding the food trucks and eating at regular nearby restaurants where we could split an entree. Also this was our first year with no soda, so just a huge growler of cold brew every day.

Keep in mind this was using points for our flights, otherwise we would have needed to drive. We also got away with around $60 total in Uber/Lyft for the whole trip.

TRAVEL
airport to / from$100.00
Around IND $100.00
Airlines Fees/ Trip Insurance$75.00
$275.00
LODGING
hotel$907.92
Dog hotel$309.00
$1,216.92
PURCHASES
Souveners$100.00
BoardGames$300.00
Random Awesome$100.00
FedEx Shipping$150.00
Events$150.00
$800.00
FOOD
snacks / packed$100.00
Dinner Restaurant 4x $70$280.00
Lunch Fast Food / Truck 5 x $45$117.50
Coffee / Tea  $20 per day $80.00
Breakfast / Light $30 per day$150.00
$727.50

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Maybe the "cost and logistics" of going to Gen Con should have it's own thread?  It seems that others might want to see/talk about this.

Normal
Small
Posted by mormanstoutcask srghayden

srghayden wrote:
My wife and I both got a 4 day pass (around $110 a piece after taxes), as far as housing goes, we didn't have to pay for that as my father lives in Indy, however, most of the people i spoke to said that around $250 a night is a good deal (i will say this, its been a couple of months and I'm not sure if that's correct, I wouldn't take my word on the prices for a hotel room, I'm sure someone can give you more information on that than me haha). It also comes down to the events you want to do, the products you're hoping to purchase in the exhibit hall, will you be going to the auction room and bidding, how much food will cost you daily, travel cost, and of course the unexpected expenses that pop up. With all that being said, I wouldn't even want to consider a trip to Gen Con without having at least $3,000. To add to this, we spent around $3,000 all together, however, we live in Indiana (sadly) and we didn't have to pay for much travel and $0 on housing.

Every persons experience is different, this was just mine, sorry if this didn't help as much as you would have liked it too.  

Sign in to write a new post. New Post