Wife needs something to do
Normal
Small
Posted by aabacus

The wife unit is joining but is not a gamer at all. She'll go as far as Game of Thrones (HBO, not the books) but outside of that she's not into fantasy and certainly not SciFi (Hmm...now that I think about it...should I really have married her? I mean let's be honest...what else is there?)  

She enjoys board games but that's about the extent of it. So...while I'm wandering the halls, gaming, etc. she's looking for a nice day spa, massage, shopping. Etc.   

Any recommendations?   

 

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

There is an entire section of activities devoted to the spouse.  Not to mention the many tourist attractions around Indy. 

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314

Within the umbrella of Gen Con there are crafts, dance classes, history lessons, massage chairs, party games, a mural to paint, and many other events that aren't sci-fi/fantasy themed.

Last year's category of events intended for non-gamer spouses:
http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2018.cgi/type/SPA/All_events

Around Indy there's shopping, museums, a farmer's market.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

Bear in mind that to sign up for the SPA events, your wife will need to purchase a regular Gen Con attendee badge and many of the SPA events themselves can be somewhat pricey. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

The convention center is connected to a decent mall.  Also, there are lots of board games to play.  If she would like a massage or spa type treatments the connected hotels (Hyatt, Westin, etc) should have something like that.  As mentioned earlier, there are SPA events run through Gen Con that are worth looking into (events for non-gamers).  There should be plenty for her to do.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

There are hundreds of board game events, but a large number have fantasy or SF themes.  Just wandering the exhibit hall, she might find stuff to do. CMON had a few games that were based on Kick-Ass, Narcos, and other non-F/SF themes.

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc aabacus

aabacus wrote:...while I'm wandering the halls, gaming, etc. she's looking for a nice day spa, massage, shopping. Etc.   
Any recommendations?   

Day spa ideas: Visit indy.com - Top 10 places for pampering 
You may like that the first choice is right on Monument Circle, so it's not that far away. At the same time, that list is more salons with extra offerings than anything else, so there are other lists to check:

I don't know how practical some of the choices are because I don't know what your transportation situation is. But, these seem like some good options. And I'm really amused that one of the spots is called "A Place To Float", and it's actually really close to the ICC and Lucas Oil Stadium. :D

Shopping: Visit Indy.com - Top 10 Shopping Destinations
Everyone defaults to the Circle Center Mall because it's close and genuinely good. It's even the second pick on this list. But there are others around the city. Granted, they'll take some driving/ubering-lyfting/whatever, but they're all good options. When I'm in Indy for business, I sometimes like to swing by either Keystone at the Crossing or Castleton, just to browse if nothing else.  

Normal
Small
Posted by aabacus traveller

traveller wrote:
There is an entire section of activities devoted to the spouse.  Not to mention the many tourist attractions around Indy. 
I did not know this! I was worried she'd be bore...now I'm worried she'll have too much to do. LOL.

Normal
Small
Posted by aabacus aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
aabacus wrote:...while I'm wandering the halls, gaming, etc. she's looking for a nice day spa, massage, shopping. Etc.   
Any recommendations?   

Day spa ideas: Visit indy.com - Top 10 places for pampering 
You may like that the first choice is right on Monument Circle, so it's not that far away. At the same time, that list is more salons with extra offerings than anything else, so there are other lists to check:

I don't know how practical some of the choices are because I don't know what your transportation situation is. But, these seem like some good options. And I'm really amused that one of the spots is called "A Place To Float", and it's actually really close to the ICC and Lucas Oil Stadium. :DShopping: Visit Indy.com - Top 10 Shopping Destinations
Everyone defaults to the Circle Center Mall because it's close and genuinely good. It's even the second pick on this list. But there are others around the city. Granted, they'll take some driving/ubering-lyfting/whatever, but they're all good options. When I'm in Indy for business, I sometimes like to swing by either Keystone at the Crossing or Castleton, just to browse if nothing else.  

This is really great! thank you so much! I'm forwarding to her!

Normal
Small
Posted by aabacus brooks

brooks wrote:
Bear in mind that to sign up for the SPA events, your wife will need to purchase a regular Gen Con attendee badge and many of the SPA events themselves can be somewhat pricey. 
Thanks! Yeah, I got her a 4 day as I am going to force her to wander with me a little. Love me love my hobbies. She keeps a cache of emergency "spa" money for just such an occasion. It's like me when I have my emergency "dice" money. What? That's a thing.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

My wife goes for the challenge of the hall.  She likes to wheel and deal and the opportunity to barter is a rush to her.  She has walked into the hall with 40$ ended up with 200$ worth of merch and still had the 40$.  

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc aabacus

aabacus wrote:
This is really great! thank you so much! I'm forwarding to her!

No problem. Glad to help! 

Normal
Small
Posted by drich02s aabacus

aabacus wrote:
The wife unit is joining but is not a gamer at all. She'll go as far as Game of Thrones (HBO, not the books) but outside of that she's not into fantasy and certainly not SciFi (Hmm...now that I think about it...should I really have married her? I mean let's be honest...what else is there?)  
She enjoys board games but that's about the extent of it. So...while I'm wandering the halls, gaming, etc. she's looking for a nice day spa, massage, shopping. Etc.   
Any recommendations?   
 
Since the convention center is attached to the mall, give her the credit card and tell her to go nuts. Of course, that’s going to cut down on trunk space for all the new nerd gear you’ll be picking up in the vendor hall.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick drich02s

drich02s wrote:
=inheritSince the convention center is attached to the mall, give her the credit card and tell her to go nuts. Of course, that’s going to cut down on trunk space for all the new nerd gear you’ll be picking up in the vendor hall.
He won't be picking up anything up in the vendor hall if she has the credit card. Problem Solved!

Normal
Small
Posted by indynat selene314

selene314 wrote:
Within the umbrella of Gen Con there are crafts, dance classes, history lessons, massage chairs, party games, a mural to paint, and many other events that aren't sci-fi/fantasy themed.
Last year's category of events intended for non-gamer spouses:
http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2018.cgi/type/SPA/All_events
Around Indy there's shopping, museums, a farmer's market.
YES!!!  I was worried I would be bored - I could have spent most of GenCon, not to mention my money at SPA!  I loved the arts and writing in the exhibit hall too and I missed the Westin's events.  

New Post Sign in to write a new post.